Mar 16, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Edinson Volquez has had a nightmarish spring, allowing 13 runs (11 earned) on 14 hits and five walks while striking out eight. Three of those hits are home runs. The right-hander just hasn’t been the same since a breakout 2008 season with the Reds, when he finished with a 3.21 ERA in 196 innings.
Still, Volquez is very likely to wind up at the back of the Pirates’ starting rotation, according to GM Neal Huntington, via Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. As a result, lefty Jeff Locke will either move to the bullpen or return to Triple-A Indianapolis.
- Red Sox acquire Alejandro De Aza from Orioles 19
- Video: Lloyd McClendon got ejected, threw another tantrum 23
- Albert Pujols ties Jimmie Foxx on the all-time home run list 27
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 96
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 77
- Video: Joey Gallo goes way deep in second MLB at-bat 14
- Video: Joey Gallo’s first career plate appearance in the major leagues results in two runs scoring 10
- Scott Kazmir cleared to return to A’s rotation Friday 0
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (186)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)