Mar 16, 2014, 9:50 PM EDT
Edinson Volquez has had a nightmarish spring, allowing 13 runs (11 earned) on 14 hits and five walks while striking out eight. Three of those hits are home runs. The right-hander just hasn’t been the same since a breakout 2008 season with the Reds, when he finished with a 3.21 ERA in 196 innings.
Still, Volquez is very likely to wind up at the back of the Pirates’ starting rotation, according to GM Neal Huntington, via Travis Sawchik of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. As a result, lefty Jeff Locke will either move to the bullpen or return to Triple-A Indianapolis.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)