Mar 16, 2014, 8:08 PM EDT
Listen, I’m as shocked as you are by the headline. The Dodgers designated Javy Guerra, a perfectly good — if flawed — reliever to make room on the roster for Chone Figgins, a 36-year-old utilityman who hasn’t OPSed above .535 since 2010. The report comes from MLB.com’s Ken Gurnick.
The Dodgers, though, are deep in bullpen arms and shallow in back-up position players, so the move makes sense in that context. Guerra posted a 6.75 ERA in 10 2/3 innings at the big league level last year, but was much better in 2011-12, when he posted a combined 2.45 ERA in 91 2/3 innings.
In related news via Dylan Hernandeze of the L.A. Times, infielder Justin Turner has also made the Dodgers’ roster. Onelki Garcia was placed on the 60-day disabled list to create room on the 40-man roster.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)