Mar 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Chris Davis led baseball in home runs and RBI last season with 53 and 138, respectively. He earned a $10.35 million salary for 2014 in his second year of arbitration eligibility and will enter his third and final period of arbitration eligibility next winter after which he can become a free agent.
Per MASN’s Steve Melewski, the Orioles haven’t made much of an effort yet to get their first baseman signed to an extension.
Davis said this morning there is not much happening on that front right now.
“Not that I know of and you guys are pretty good about finding things out,” Davis said. “I’m sure if anything is said, we’ll be talking about it, but those are for Scott (Boras) and Dan (Duquette). I have way too much to focus on here.”
The good news is that Davis isn’t particularly concerned about his contract situation, saying that “[the Orioles] took care” of him this off-season. Davis also understands that the Orioles may be reticent to commit to a first baseman who only has two solid seasons under his belt. Davis turns 28 on Monday and a contract extension would likely take him into his mid-30’s.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)