Mar 16, 2014, 6:00 PM EST
Chris Davis led baseball in home runs and RBI last season with 53 and 138, respectively. He earned a $10.35 million salary for 2014 in his second year of arbitration eligibility and will enter his third and final period of arbitration eligibility next winter after which he can become a free agent.
Per MASN’s Steve Melewski, the Orioles haven’t made much of an effort yet to get their first baseman signed to an extension.
Davis said this morning there is not much happening on that front right now.
“Not that I know of and you guys are pretty good about finding things out,” Davis said. “I’m sure if anything is said, we’ll be talking about it, but those are for Scott (Boras) and Dan (Duquette). I have way too much to focus on here.”
The good news is that Davis isn’t particularly concerned about his contract situation, saying that “[the Orioles] took care” of him this off-season. Davis also understands that the Orioles may be reticent to commit to a first baseman who only has two solid seasons under his belt. Davis turns 28 on Monday and a contract extension would likely take him into his mid-30’s.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)