Mar 16, 2014, 8:55 PM EST
Mariners shortstop Nick Franklin has been named in trade rumors throughout the off-season and into the spring. The Mets have been one team strongly linked to him. But with the Tigers hurting at the position after learning that Jose Iglesias will not be ready for the start of the regular season — at least — Ollie Connolly of OutsidePitchMLB is reporting that the Tigers are expected to make a “serious run” at acquiring Franklin.
The Tigers were expected to have significant interest in free agent Stephen Drew as well. Drew seems like a better fit for the Tigers than Franklin, as Drew only requires a commitment of one year and is overall more valuable, which is important for a team poised for a World Series run as the Tigers are. The Tigers, though, would have to relinquish their first-round draft pick, 23rd overall, in order to sign Drew, which GM Dave Dombrowski may feel is too high a price to pay for a stopgap solution.
Franklin slashed .225/.303/.382 in 412 plate appearances in his rookie season last year. Drew slashed .253/.333/.443 in 501 PA with the Red Sox. Depending on which defensive metrics used, Drew also grades out as a better defender.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)