Mar 16, 2014, 8:55 PM EDT
Mariners shortstop Nick Franklin has been named in trade rumors throughout the off-season and into the spring. The Mets have been one team strongly linked to him. But with the Tigers hurting at the position after learning that Jose Iglesias will not be ready for the start of the regular season — at least — Ollie Connolly of OutsidePitchMLB is reporting that the Tigers are expected to make a “serious run” at acquiring Franklin.
The Tigers were expected to have significant interest in free agent Stephen Drew as well. Drew seems like a better fit for the Tigers than Franklin, as Drew only requires a commitment of one year and is overall more valuable, which is important for a team poised for a World Series run as the Tigers are. The Tigers, though, would have to relinquish their first-round draft pick, 23rd overall, in order to sign Drew, which GM Dave Dombrowski may feel is too high a price to pay for a stopgap solution.
Franklin slashed .225/.303/.382 in 412 plate appearances in his rookie season last year. Drew slashed .253/.333/.443 in 501 PA with the Red Sox. Depending on which defensive metrics used, Drew also grades out as a better defender.
Announcement: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 0
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 24
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 47
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 67
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 74
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 51
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)