Mar 16, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
The Braves haven’t had a very fun spring. Starters Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy succumbed to injuries, forcing GM Frank Wren to make an emergency signing of free agent Ervin Santana. They had two more injury scares in Sunday afternoon’s game against the Yankees.
First baseman Freddie Freeman was hit hard in his left (glove) hand on a line drive down the right field line and was diagnosed with a left thumb contusion. Ryan Doumit, poised to serve as a back-up outfielder and catcher for the Braves, took a foul tip off of his right hand in the second inning. X-rays were negative.
Freeman was taken out of the game for precautionary reasons and espoused safety first after the game. Via David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“There’s no point in trying to be a hero in spring training, especially when we’re getting close to the end,” Freeman said. “Just get some ice on it the next couple days and see where we go from there.”
Both should be fine after a couple days of rest. The Braves can breathe a deep sigh of relief.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27