Mar 16, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
The Braves haven’t had a very fun spring. Starters Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy succumbed to injuries, forcing GM Frank Wren to make an emergency signing of free agent Ervin Santana. They had two more injury scares in Sunday afternoon’s game against the Yankees.
First baseman Freddie Freeman was hit hard in his left (glove) hand on a line drive down the right field line and was diagnosed with a left thumb contusion. Ryan Doumit, poised to serve as a back-up outfielder and catcher for the Braves, took a foul tip off of his right hand in the second inning. X-rays were negative.
Freeman was taken out of the game for precautionary reasons and espoused safety first after the game. Via David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“There’s no point in trying to be a hero in spring training, especially when we’re getting close to the end,” Freeman said. “Just get some ice on it the next couple days and see where we go from there.”
Both should be fine after a couple days of rest. The Braves can breathe a deep sigh of relief.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 41
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 50
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)