Mar 16, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
The Braves haven’t had a very fun spring. Starters Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy succumbed to injuries, forcing GM Frank Wren to make an emergency signing of free agent Ervin Santana. They had two more injury scares in Sunday afternoon’s game against the Yankees.
First baseman Freddie Freeman was hit hard in his left (glove) hand on a line drive down the right field line and was diagnosed with a left thumb contusion. Ryan Doumit, poised to serve as a back-up outfielder and catcher for the Braves, took a foul tip off of his right hand in the second inning. X-rays were negative.
Freeman was taken out of the game for precautionary reasons and espoused safety first after the game. Via David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“There’s no point in trying to be a hero in spring training, especially when we’re getting close to the end,” Freeman said. “Just get some ice on it the next couple days and see where we go from there.”
Both should be fine after a couple days of rest. The Braves can breathe a deep sigh of relief.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (158)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)