Mar 16, 2014, 7:05 PM EST
The Braves haven’t had a very fun spring. Starters Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy succumbed to injuries, forcing GM Frank Wren to make an emergency signing of free agent Ervin Santana. They had two more injury scares in Sunday afternoon’s game against the Yankees.
First baseman Freddie Freeman was hit hard in his left (glove) hand on a line drive down the right field line and was diagnosed with a left thumb contusion. Ryan Doumit, poised to serve as a back-up outfielder and catcher for the Braves, took a foul tip off of his right hand in the second inning. X-rays were negative.
Freeman was taken out of the game for precautionary reasons and espoused safety first after the game. Via David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“There’s no point in trying to be a hero in spring training, especially when we’re getting close to the end,” Freeman said. “Just get some ice on it the next couple days and see where we go from there.”
Both should be fine after a couple days of rest. The Braves can breathe a deep sigh of relief.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 87
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 35
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 363
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (363)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (97)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (82)