Mar 16, 2014, 7:05 PM EDT
The Braves haven’t had a very fun spring. Starters Kris Medlen and Brandon Beachy succumbed to injuries, forcing GM Frank Wren to make an emergency signing of free agent Ervin Santana. They had two more injury scares in Sunday afternoon’s game against the Yankees.
First baseman Freddie Freeman was hit hard in his left (glove) hand on a line drive down the right field line and was diagnosed with a left thumb contusion. Ryan Doumit, poised to serve as a back-up outfielder and catcher for the Braves, took a foul tip off of his right hand in the second inning. X-rays were negative.
Freeman was taken out of the game for precautionary reasons and espoused safety first after the game. Via David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“There’s no point in trying to be a hero in spring training, especially when we’re getting close to the end,” Freeman said. “Just get some ice on it the next couple days and see where we go from there.”
Both should be fine after a couple days of rest. The Braves can breathe a deep sigh of relief.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 50
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 34
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 211
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (211)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)