Mar 16, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Greg Johns has the status update …
Good news from Taijuan Walker today as the youngster threw a 40-pitch bullpen session and said he felt great. Walker is likely a couple weeks still from throwing in a game and a few more from being Major League ready, in the best-case scenario, but the fact he’s on the mend and throwing well is welcome news.
Walker will open the season on the 15-day disabled list but should be able to join the Mariners’ starting rotation by the end of April. The 21-year-old posted a promising 2.93 ERA, 1.196 WHIP, and 10.2 K/9 in 141 1/3 innings last season between Double-A Jackson and Triple-A Tacoma. He then debuted at the major league level in August.
Walker was rated the eighth overall prospect in the game earlier this spring by Baseball Prospectus.
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 123
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (123)