Mar 16, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
It may be spring training, but no-hitters are always fun. Marlins pitchers Brad Hand, Steve Cishek, A.J. Ramos, and Arquimedes Camineros combined for nine innings of no-hit baseball against the Yankees. The game was played at Rod Carew Stadium in Panama as part of the “Legend Series”.
Brad Hand started the game and went five innings, striking out six. Steve Cishek followed up with a scoreless frame with one walk. Ramos pitched the seventh and eighth innings, walking one, and Caminero wrapped up the ballgame with a strikeout in his only inning of work.
The Yankees were only fielding half of what will be their starting lineup, but Brett Gardner, Derek Jeter, Carlos Beltran, and Alfonso Soriano combined to go 0-for-11 out of the top four spots in the lineup. Manager Joe Girardi wasn’t happy. Via MLB.com’s Bryan Hoch:
“You never want to be no-hit,” Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. “I don’t care what game it is, what level. You never want to see that.”
Still, better to get no-hit in the Grapefruit League than during the regular season. The Marlins, surprisingly, have the lowest team ERA in spring training. Hand has had a great showing, allowing just one run in 12 innings of work thus far, posting a 15-to-2 strikeout-to-walk ratio.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 9
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 14
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 75
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (277)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)