Mar 17, 2014, 2:19 PM EST
Detroit choosing Justin Verlander over Max Scherzer to start on Opening Day was a reminder of just how star-studded the Tigers’ rotation is, but here’s a slight buzzkill: No. 3 starter and reigning ERA champ Anibal Sanchez was scratched from today’s scheduled start with shoulder soreness.
For now the Tigers are saying they expect Sanchez to make his next start. He has a lengthy history of arm problems, but in recent years Sanchez has generally been able to bounce back from various issues with minimal time off.
Last season he threw 180-plus innings for the fourth consecutive year, posting a league-best 2.57 ERA in 29 starts and striking out a career-high 10.0 batters per nine innings at age 29.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)