Mar 17, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Detroit choosing Justin Verlander over Max Scherzer to start on Opening Day was a reminder of just how star-studded the Tigers’ rotation is, but here’s a slight buzzkill: No. 3 starter and reigning ERA champ Anibal Sanchez was scratched from today’s scheduled start with shoulder soreness.
For now the Tigers are saying they expect Sanchez to make his next start. He has a lengthy history of arm problems, but in recent years Sanchez has generally been able to bounce back from various issues with minimal time off.
Last season he threw 180-plus innings for the fourth consecutive year, posting a league-best 2.57 ERA in 29 starts and striking out a career-high 10.0 batters per nine innings at age 29.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 46
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)