Mar 17, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Detroit choosing Justin Verlander over Max Scherzer to start on Opening Day was a reminder of just how star-studded the Tigers’ rotation is, but here’s a slight buzzkill: No. 3 starter and reigning ERA champ Anibal Sanchez was scratched from today’s scheduled start with shoulder soreness.
For now the Tigers are saying they expect Sanchez to make his next start. He has a lengthy history of arm problems, but in recent years Sanchez has generally been able to bounce back from various issues with minimal time off.
Last season he threw 180-plus innings for the fourth consecutive year, posting a league-best 2.57 ERA in 29 starts and striking out a career-high 10.0 batters per nine innings at age 29.
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 6
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 15
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 57
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 42
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69