Mar 17, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Detroit choosing Justin Verlander over Max Scherzer to start on Opening Day was a reminder of just how star-studded the Tigers’ rotation is, but here’s a slight buzzkill: No. 3 starter and reigning ERA champ Anibal Sanchez was scratched from today’s scheduled start with shoulder soreness.
For now the Tigers are saying they expect Sanchez to make his next start. He has a lengthy history of arm problems, but in recent years Sanchez has generally been able to bounce back from various issues with minimal time off.
Last season he threw 180-plus innings for the fourth consecutive year, posting a league-best 2.57 ERA in 29 starts and striking out a career-high 10.0 batters per nine innings at age 29.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (80)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)