Mar 17, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Detroit choosing Justin Verlander over Max Scherzer to start on Opening Day was a reminder of just how star-studded the Tigers’ rotation is, but here’s a slight buzzkill: No. 3 starter and reigning ERA champ Anibal Sanchez was scratched from today’s scheduled start with shoulder soreness.
For now the Tigers are saying they expect Sanchez to make his next start. He has a lengthy history of arm problems, but in recent years Sanchez has generally been able to bounce back from various issues with minimal time off.
Last season he threw 180-plus innings for the fourth consecutive year, posting a league-best 2.57 ERA in 29 starts and striking out a career-high 10.0 batters per nine innings at age 29.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 1
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 15
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 44
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 22
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)