Mar 17, 2014, 1:20 PM EST
Feldman is 31 years old with a 4.62 career ERA and it would be easy to make some jokes about him being the Astros’ choice, but whatever. They’re really bad now and in the relatively near future they’ll probably cease being really bad and, within a few years, there’s a pretty reasonable chance that they’ll be very good.
And in the meantime they have a guy like Feldman around to eat some innings and, for this season at least, take the mound in Game 1. Last season he threw 182 innings with a 3.86 ERA in 30 starts for the Cubs and Orioles, and now Feldman is returning to Texas after playing the first eight seasons of his career for the Rangers.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)