Mar 17, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
Feldman is 31 years old with a 4.62 career ERA and it would be easy to make some jokes about him being the Astros’ choice, but whatever. They’re really bad now and in the relatively near future they’ll probably cease being really bad and, within a few years, there’s a pretty reasonable chance that they’ll be very good.
And in the meantime they have a guy like Feldman around to eat some innings and, for this season at least, take the mound in Game 1. Last season he threw 182 innings with a 3.86 ERA in 30 starts for the Cubs and Orioles, and now Feldman is returning to Texas after playing the first eight seasons of his career for the Rangers.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 15
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 8
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 59
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 110
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (110)