Mar 17, 2014, 6:58 PM EDT
This will be the first Opening Day assignment of Tillman’s career. Showalter called it a “reward” for the 25-year-old right-hander, who has quickly gone from disappointment to rotation staple. Tillman went 16-7 with a 3.71 ERA and 179/68 K/BB ratio over 206 1/3 innings last season and earned his first All-Star team selection.
Ubaldo Jimenez, who signed a four-year, $50 million contract with Baltimore over the winter, is expected to start the second game of the season.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 65
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 57
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 147
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)