Mar 17, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
This will be the first Opening Day assignment of Tillman’s career. Showalter called it a “reward” for the 25-year-old right-hander, who has quickly gone from disappointment to rotation staple. Tillman went 16-7 with a 3.71 ERA and 179/68 K/BB ratio over 206 1/3 innings last season and earned his first All-Star team selection.
Ubaldo Jimenez, who signed a four-year, $50 million contract with Baltimore over the winter, is expected to start the second game of the season.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)