Mar 17, 2014, 6:58 PM EST
This will be the first Opening Day assignment of Tillman’s career. Showalter called it a “reward” for the 25-year-old right-hander, who has quickly gone from disappointment to rotation staple. Tillman went 16-7 with a 3.71 ERA and 179/68 K/BB ratio over 206 1/3 innings last season and earned his first All-Star team selection.
Ubaldo Jimenez, who signed a four-year, $50 million contract with Baltimore over the winter, is expected to start the second game of the season.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 12
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 103
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (110)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)