Grady Sizemore had a big day today

Mar 17, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT

No, your eyes are not fooling you. Below you’ll find footage of Grady Sizemore doing awesome things on a baseball field.

Dare I say vintage form? Sizemore, who hasn’t played in the majors since 2011, is now hitting .381 (8-for-21) with one double and one walk over seven games this spring. What a story it would be if he can finally put the long list of injuries behind him and become a significant contributor for the Red Sox this season. For today at least, it looks like a legitimate possibility. And that’s pretty cool.

1. kappy32 - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM

That would be an amazing story. I’ve always liked him. Nevertheless, I still expect his knees to act up & he won’t play a full season. The Sox will be lucky to get 60 games out of him, very lucky.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:31 PM

So you are saying he is an absolutely even trade off for Jacoby Ellsbury?

• kappy32 - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Lol, pretty much. In all seriousness, if he can have a season like he has in the past, the Sox won’t miss a beat with Grady over Jacoby. That is a serious “if” though. I’ve been pulling for him for years & until I see him play past June 1, I’m going to continue to be skeptical.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:33 AM

The question with him was never really talent. He’s got the ability. His body has just betrayed him. I think you may be right, as he has struggled to stay healthy for so long, but I really would like to see him stay healthy and have a productive few years to end his career.

• TheMorningStar - Mar 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Don’t think you can state it any better than asimonti88 did above.

2. slaugin - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I love Spring Training fairy tales

3. shaggylocks - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Watching the way everything seemed to magically break their way last season, I wouldn’t be surprised in the least if the Red Sox managed to snag Grady in time for his legit rebound season.

4. kcroyal - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I don’t think getting 8 hits in 21 spring training at bats is really indicative of anything. I love a come back story as much as anyone, but I don’t think much stock should be put in a handful of virtually meaningless at bats in meaningless games.

5. cur'68 - Mar 17, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I don’t care about that sample size or luck or any of that. When things suck in your life you can at least take pleasure in the success of others and a Grady Sizemore HighLightReel is applause worthy considering what the kid has been through.

Grady just made me smile for the first time in forever I think. Hope and hard work pays off, I guess. Even if IS just spring training it sure is nice to see him out there running around and laying out for catches. His bat looks good; opposite field power and plenty of hard grounders, too.

• pbastille - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Love your attitude, cur. Most folks subscribe to the “misery loves company” approach to life. Much better to focus on the good things.

• 18thstreet - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Everything okay, Cur?

• cur'68 - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Not really, but what can you do? Get up. Face the day. Move forward. The end.

Anyhow, the baseball season is right around the corner. I can immerse myself in caring about unimportant stuff.

• 18thstreet - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Hang in there. I’m rooting for you.

6. tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM

A small part of me kind of hopes he sticks with the team and then is really terrible.

Just so I can relive the joy I once felt when I read the headlines “Red Sox and Grady part ways”.

7. soundsofsuccess7 - Mar 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Rooting for the guy

• rje49 - Mar 18, 2014 at 8:27 AM

Me too, but I thought I heard something snap on that last catch….

8. pastabelly - Mar 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Bradley Junior should have to win the job. He’s never proven that he can be a major leaguer. Sizemore has. It sends a bad message to just give him the job because it’s his turn.

9. rgledz - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Any day that he doesn’t experience a season ending injury is a big day.

10. proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2014 at 7:18 AM

The need him. Bradley has not hit well this spring. Bradley has been hyped for a couple of years, but does not seem to be ready for the AL.

• TheMorningStar - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM

He already has Gold Glove caliber defense (real GG talent, not ‘Jeter’ GG talent), and solid plate discipline; the hitting needs to come around. Another season in Pawtucket would probably be best at this point.

• 18thstreet - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:33 PM

A couple years? It’s been 13 months. And he had an AMAZING spring training last year.

11. paperlions - Mar 18, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Good for him….watching the game yesterday, I was glad he didn’t sign with the Reds. Of course, for Grady, the issue is going to be to stay healthy. I wouldn’t be surprised if he only gets 2-3 starts/week playing in CF or RF in an attempt to keep both him and Victorino healthy all year.

• pastabelly - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM

The emergence of Sizemore really does more to get Carp more playing time as Victorino could play CF to spell Sizemore and Carp could play more games in right (even when Sizemore is in CF). You have to wonder if Sizemore knew all along that he had a chance to win the CF job in Boston and that was always his goal.

• paperlions - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I don’t think he has won that job….what he has won, is a roster spot….I haven’t seen any indication that JBJ is going to AAA.

• 18thstreet - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:41 PM

The Red Sox do seem to have a problem on their hands. It’s a good problem, but it’s a problem. The easiest — and most sensible — solution is to send JBJ down to AAA until one of the outfielders gets hurt.

As a Sox fan, I hope that JBJ keeps up his good spirits if he’s sent down. But there’s no room for the guy, and I don’t think they can trade him since Gomes and Sizemore are free agents after this year (and Victorino is no spring chicken).

Bradley’s a Boras client, so the Red Sox get 7 years out him before free agency. He turns 24 in April, so he’s not very young any more.

12. jm91rs - Mar 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Bummed out he didn’t get that deal with the Reds figured out. He would have made a good LF alternative if Ludwick fails to get it going or CF if Hamilton can’t take his nice spring into real baseball later this month.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3259)