Mar 17, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
There’s no indication that the Tigers actually want Jimmy Rollins to fill in their now-wide-open shortstop position. But as CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports, a lot of scouts were speculating about such a thing, so Salisbury asked Rollins how he’d feel about it. Keeping in mine that Rollins, as a 10-and-5 guy, has full no-trade protection:
If the Tigers call the Phillies, the conversation won’t last long. As a veteran of 10 years in the major leagues and five with the same club, Rollins has full no-trade rights. He reiterated Sunday that he would not waive his no-trade rights any time soon.
With 2,175 career hits, Rollins is 60 shy of overtaking Mike Schmidt as the Phillies’ all-time leader.
He can’t get that record in another team’s uniform.
“There’s only 30 guys that are their team’s leader in hits,” Rollins said Sunday. “It’s a pretty high honor.”
With the caveat that Rollins’ earned his right to not be traded and doesn’t have to give a reason for not wanting to be traded, it is curious that he publicly offers an individual record is his first reason for not being open to a trade. Last I checked the Crash Davis School of Media Relations tells guys to mention the ballclub first. But then again, Rollins has always been his own man.
For the record, Rollins did say that if the Phillies were “in absolutely last place with nowhere to go” that he’d rethink.
Which means we’ll likely be revisiting this come May.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 5
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)