Mar 17, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
There’s no indication that the Tigers actually want Jimmy Rollins to fill in their now-wide-open shortstop position. But as CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports, a lot of scouts were speculating about such a thing, so Salisbury asked Rollins how he’d feel about it. Keeping in mine that Rollins, as a 10-and-5 guy, has full no-trade protection:
If the Tigers call the Phillies, the conversation won’t last long. As a veteran of 10 years in the major leagues and five with the same club, Rollins has full no-trade rights. He reiterated Sunday that he would not waive his no-trade rights any time soon.
With 2,175 career hits, Rollins is 60 shy of overtaking Mike Schmidt as the Phillies’ all-time leader.
He can’t get that record in another team’s uniform.
“There’s only 30 guys that are their team’s leader in hits,” Rollins said Sunday. “It’s a pretty high honor.”
With the caveat that Rollins’ earned his right to not be traded and doesn’t have to give a reason for not wanting to be traded, it is curious that he publicly offers an individual record is his first reason for not being open to a trade. Last I checked the Crash Davis School of Media Relations tells guys to mention the ballclub first. But then again, Rollins has always been his own man.
For the record, Rollins did say that if the Phillies were “in absolutely last place with nowhere to go” that he’d rethink.
Which means we’ll likely be revisiting this come May.
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 31
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 60
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 104
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)