Mar 17, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
There’s no indication that the Tigers actually want Jimmy Rollins to fill in their now-wide-open shortstop position. But as CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports, a lot of scouts were speculating about such a thing, so Salisbury asked Rollins how he’d feel about it. Keeping in mine that Rollins, as a 10-and-5 guy, has full no-trade protection:
If the Tigers call the Phillies, the conversation won’t last long. As a veteran of 10 years in the major leagues and five with the same club, Rollins has full no-trade rights. He reiterated Sunday that he would not waive his no-trade rights any time soon.
With 2,175 career hits, Rollins is 60 shy of overtaking Mike Schmidt as the Phillies’ all-time leader.
He can’t get that record in another team’s uniform.
“There’s only 30 guys that are their team’s leader in hits,” Rollins said Sunday. “It’s a pretty high honor.”
With the caveat that Rollins’ earned his right to not be traded and doesn’t have to give a reason for not wanting to be traded, it is curious that he publicly offers an individual record is his first reason for not being open to a trade. Last I checked the Crash Davis School of Media Relations tells guys to mention the ballclub first. But then again, Rollins has always been his own man.
For the record, Rollins did say that if the Phillies were “in absolutely last place with nowhere to go” that he’d rethink.
Which means we’ll likely be revisiting this come May.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)