Mar 17, 2014, 8:50 AM EDT
There’s no indication that the Tigers actually want Jimmy Rollins to fill in their now-wide-open shortstop position. But as CSNPhilly.com’s Jim Salisbury reports, a lot of scouts were speculating about such a thing, so Salisbury asked Rollins how he’d feel about it. Keeping in mine that Rollins, as a 10-and-5 guy, has full no-trade protection:
If the Tigers call the Phillies, the conversation won’t last long. As a veteran of 10 years in the major leagues and five with the same club, Rollins has full no-trade rights. He reiterated Sunday that he would not waive his no-trade rights any time soon.
With 2,175 career hits, Rollins is 60 shy of overtaking Mike Schmidt as the Phillies’ all-time leader.
He can’t get that record in another team’s uniform.
“There’s only 30 guys that are their team’s leader in hits,” Rollins said Sunday. “It’s a pretty high honor.”
With the caveat that Rollins’ earned his right to not be traded and doesn’t have to give a reason for not wanting to be traded, it is curious that he publicly offers an individual record is his first reason for not being open to a trade. Last I checked the Crash Davis School of Media Relations tells guys to mention the ballclub first. But then again, Rollins has always been his own man.
For the record, Rollins did say that if the Phillies were “in absolutely last place with nowhere to go” that he’d rethink.
Which means we’ll likely be revisiting this come May.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)