Mar 17, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Padres right-hander Joe Wieland underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in 2012, missing all of last season recovering, and now the 25-year-old is having more elbow problems that have everyone worried he may need another Tommy John surgery.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that Wieland is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and there’s “significant concern” within the organization that he has a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
San Diego already lost Cory Luebke to Tommy John surgery last month and we’ve basically been writing “Pitcher X needs Tommy John surgery” headlines all spring training.
Wieland was the Rangers’ fourth-round pick in the 2008 draft and came to the Padres in the mid-2011 trade for reliever Mike Adams.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)