Mar 17, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Padres right-hander Joe Wieland underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in 2012, missing all of last season recovering, and now the 25-year-old is having more elbow problems that have everyone worried he may need another Tommy John surgery.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that Wieland is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and there’s “significant concern” within the organization that he has a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
San Diego already lost Cory Luebke to Tommy John surgery last month and we’ve basically been writing “Pitcher X needs Tommy John surgery” headlines all spring training.
Wieland was the Rangers’ fourth-round pick in the 2008 draft and came to the Padres in the mid-2011 trade for reliever Mike Adams.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)