Mar 17, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Padres right-hander Joe Wieland underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in 2012, missing all of last season recovering, and now the 25-year-old is having more elbow problems that have everyone worried he may need another Tommy John surgery.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that Wieland is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and there’s “significant concern” within the organization that he has a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
San Diego already lost Cory Luebke to Tommy John surgery last month and we’ve basically been writing “Pitcher X needs Tommy John surgery” headlines all spring training.
Wieland was the Rangers’ fourth-round pick in the 2008 draft and came to the Padres in the mid-2011 trade for reliever Mike Adams.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade (78)