Mar 17, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Padres right-hander Joe Wieland underwent Tommy John elbow surgery in 2012, missing all of last season recovering, and now the 25-year-old is having more elbow problems that have everyone worried he may need another Tommy John surgery.
Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports reports that Wieland is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today and there’s “significant concern” within the organization that he has a torn ulnar collateral ligament.
San Diego already lost Cory Luebke to Tommy John surgery last month and we’ve basically been writing “Pitcher X needs Tommy John surgery” headlines all spring training.
Wieland was the Rangers’ fourth-round pick in the 2008 draft and came to the Padres in the mid-2011 trade for reliever Mike Adams.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 45
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)