Jose Contreras won’t make the Rangers, could retire

Mar 17, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-03-17 at 5.04.08 PM Getty Images

Back in December the Rangers signed 42 year-old Jose Contereas to a minor league deal. After a lackluster spring trianing they have informed him, however, that he will not make the Opening Day roster.

This could very well be the end of the line for Contreras, who pitched only five innings for the Pirates in 2013 after coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery. He was somewhat effective in the minors while rehabbing, but that’s probably because the guy has more veteran guile and smarts in his little finger than all of the Triple-A hitters have collectively. It’s questionable whether, at his age, he can still get it done in the majors.

Which, however inevitable this is, is sad. Contreras is so fun to watch. One hopes that, if his big league career is over, he pitches until he’s, like, 55 in various independent or foreign leagues.

1. narfmoo12 - Mar 17, 2014 at 5:38 PM

He might already be pitching at 55 years old.

• 7mantel - Mar 17, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I think your right !

2. tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2014 at 5:45 PM

You know….I think we could have the makings of an interesting reality show.

Contreras and Livan Hernandez room together in a nice big clapboard house, and spend their days playing cribbage and sipping iced tea in the rockers on the front porch.

Occasionally take the horseless carriage into town for a nice Sunday breakfast or an early bird Wednesday two-fer at the local diner.

3. kiwicricket - Mar 17, 2014 at 6:14 PM

You can’t have someone collecting game salary and MLB pension at the same time can you?

4. musketmaniac - Mar 17, 2014 at 7:08 PM

He was piss poor at best

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 17, 2014 at 7:51 PM

you are 100% correct, glad to see someone had the balls to say it cause its very true

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Actually at best he was pretty good. Overall he was exactly average.

5. nsstlfan - Mar 17, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Musketmaniac…… I figure you could do better? I expect to see you in the majors next year

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2014 at 9:00 PM

God I hate this statement. Musketmaniac’s point is off base, but this argument is just stupid.

So I will point this out again….I’m not a plumber. If I hire someone to plumb my house, and every time I flush the toilet feces explodes out my kitchen sink….I think I can reasonably say “That guy was a terrible plumber” without some jackass saying “Well he did better than you could do.”

Because that may be true, but when someone criticizes someone’s work, they are comparing them to their peers in the field.

6. musketmaniac - Mar 17, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I was referring to last season, not his career. and I sucked at baseball. Unlike most athletes I peaked in my forties.

All the trade deadline news to know