Mar 17, 2014, 9:12 PM EDT
It was reported over the weekend that Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias will miss most (or potentially all) of the season due to lingering pain from a shin condition and now we have some clarity about the exact nature of the injury. According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Iglesias confirmed today that he has been diagnosed with stress fractures in both of his legs.
Amazingly, Iglesias has been playing through the condition since spring training last year, but he said the current pain is “really bad.” The 24-year-old is scheduled to another specialist, Dr. Thomas Clanton, on Tuesday in Colorado, after which he should have a better idea of how much time he’ll need to miss. Regardless, he still hopes to make it back this season.
The Tigers won’t comment on Iglesias’ diagnosis until after he sees the specialist tomorrow, but general manager Dave Dombrowski has acknowledged that they plan to focus on internal options at shortstop. If that’s the case, we’re looking at some combination of Eugenio Suarez, Hernan Perez, and Danny Worth. That’s not an ideal scenario, so speculation about free agent Stephen Drew and potential trades will likely continue.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 46
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)