Mar 17, 2014, 9:12 PM EDT
It was reported over the weekend that Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias will miss most (or potentially all) of the season due to lingering pain from a shin condition and now we have some clarity about the exact nature of the injury. According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Iglesias confirmed today that he has been diagnosed with stress fractures in both of his legs.
Amazingly, Iglesias has been playing through the condition since spring training last year, but he said the current pain is “really bad.” The 24-year-old is scheduled to another specialist, Dr. Thomas Clanton, on Tuesday in Colorado, after which he should have a better idea of how much time he’ll need to miss. Regardless, he still hopes to make it back this season.
The Tigers won’t comment on Iglesias’ diagnosis until after he sees the specialist tomorrow, but general manager Dave Dombrowski has acknowledged that they plan to focus on internal options at shortstop. If that’s the case, we’re looking at some combination of Eugenio Suarez, Hernan Perez, and Danny Worth. That’s not an ideal scenario, so speculation about free agent Stephen Drew and potential trades will likely continue.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 82
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 13
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 34
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 40
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (185)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)