Mar 17, 2014, 9:12 PM EDT
It was reported over the weekend that Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias will miss most (or potentially all) of the season due to lingering pain from a shin condition and now we have some clarity about the exact nature of the injury. According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Iglesias confirmed today that he has been diagnosed with stress fractures in both of his legs.
Amazingly, Iglesias has been playing through the condition since spring training last year, but he said the current pain is “really bad.” The 24-year-old is scheduled to another specialist, Dr. Thomas Clanton, on Tuesday in Colorado, after which he should have a better idea of how much time he’ll need to miss. Regardless, he still hopes to make it back this season.
The Tigers won’t comment on Iglesias’ diagnosis until after he sees the specialist tomorrow, but general manager Dave Dombrowski has acknowledged that they plan to focus on internal options at shortstop. If that’s the case, we’re looking at some combination of Eugenio Suarez, Hernan Perez, and Danny Worth. That’s not an ideal scenario, so speculation about free agent Stephen Drew and potential trades will likely continue.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (85)