Mar 17, 2014, 9:12 PM EDT
It was reported over the weekend that Tigers shortstop Jose Iglesias will miss most (or potentially all) of the season due to lingering pain from a shin condition and now we have some clarity about the exact nature of the injury. According to Jason Beck of MLB.com, Iglesias confirmed today that he has been diagnosed with stress fractures in both of his legs.
Amazingly, Iglesias has been playing through the condition since spring training last year, but he said the current pain is “really bad.” The 24-year-old is scheduled to another specialist, Dr. Thomas Clanton, on Tuesday in Colorado, after which he should have a better idea of how much time he’ll need to miss. Regardless, he still hopes to make it back this season.
The Tigers won’t comment on Iglesias’ diagnosis until after he sees the specialist tomorrow, but general manager Dave Dombrowski has acknowledged that they plan to focus on internal options at shortstop. If that’s the case, we’re looking at some combination of Eugenio Suarez, Hernan Perez, and Danny Worth. That’s not an ideal scenario, so speculation about free agent Stephen Drew and potential trades will likely continue.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 65
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 44
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 71
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)