Mar 17, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Howard Megdal interviewed former Mets and current Dodgers infielder Justin Turner. The subject: how so many Mets players, current and former, find themselves being torn down by anonymous front office sources and the New York media:
I think the issue is that nobody takes responsibility for what they say,” Turner told me as we chatted in front of his spring training locker. “You’ve seen that with Tejada over the last few weeks. It’s all ‘a source said that they’re not happy with him.’ It’s like, you know what? If you’re gonna come out and gonna attack a guy’s character, and his work ethic, be man enough to put your name on it. Don’t say, ‘This is off the record’, and then off the record means they’re gonna write it anyway.”
He has some criticisms for the reporters who cover the Mets too, whom he says are more interested in stories and drama and aren’t all that interested in baseball for its own sake. But his bigger beef is clearly with the Mets, who make it a habit to whisper insults.
He has some comments about how he’d run things if he were in charge of the Mets. And I can’t imagine anyone not named Wilpon would disagree with it.
Good article about something that has become increasingly common.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 3
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 75
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Jonathan Papelbon blows save, gets ejected for making rude gesture at booing crowd (77)