Mar 17, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Howard Megdal interviewed former Mets and current Dodgers infielder Justin Turner. The subject: how so many Mets players, current and former, find themselves being torn down by anonymous front office sources and the New York media:
I think the issue is that nobody takes responsibility for what they say,” Turner told me as we chatted in front of his spring training locker. “You’ve seen that with Tejada over the last few weeks. It’s all ‘a source said that they’re not happy with him.’ It’s like, you know what? If you’re gonna come out and gonna attack a guy’s character, and his work ethic, be man enough to put your name on it. Don’t say, ‘This is off the record’, and then off the record means they’re gonna write it anyway.”
He has some criticisms for the reporters who cover the Mets too, whom he says are more interested in stories and drama and aren’t all that interested in baseball for its own sake. But his bigger beef is clearly with the Mets, who make it a habit to whisper insults.
He has some comments about how he’d run things if he were in charge of the Mets. And I can’t imagine anyone not named Wilpon would disagree with it.
Good article about something that has become increasingly common.
- Rays play Saturday’s game against the Blue Jays under protest 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 10
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 33
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)