Mar 17, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
The following news doesn’t come as a surprise, but it’s now official. According to Mark Bowman of MLB.com, Braves right-hander Kris Medlen will undergo season-ending Tommy John surgery tomorrow.
This will be the second Tommy John surgery of Medlen’s young career. He previously had the procedure in August of 2010 and made it back to the majors in September of 2011. The Braves were widely praised for how they handled Medlen’s workload in 2012, first using him out of the bullpen before transitioning him to the rotation. After posting a 3.11 ERA over a career-high 197 innings last season, he was being counted on to serve as Atlanta’s ace this year, but now he has another long rehab ahead of him. Getting him back at some point during the first half next year is probably the best-case scenario.
In other injured Braves starting pitcher news, Brandon Beachy is scheduled to travel to Los Angeles tomorrow to get a second opinion on his elbow. He could soon be headed for a second Tommy John surgery of his own.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)