Mar 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Michael Bourn strained his surgically-repaired left hamstring yesterday and now his Opening Day is in doubt:
Michael Bourn is going to miss at least a week. Has mild left hamstring strain. Unknown if he’ll be ready for March 31 opener. #Indians.
— paul hoynes (@hoynsie) March 17, 2014
It would appear that Michael Brantley will shift over to center until Bourn can return.
Any extended absence for Bourn would be bad news, as the Indians need him to be a spark plug. If they want to repeat or improve upon their 92-win season last season, it’d be way easier if Bourn and Nick Swisher returned to form.
Editor’s Note: Hardball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 12
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 21
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)