Mar 17, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
In one of his first personnel decisions as Nationals manager Matt Williams has decided to shift left-hander Ross Detwiler to the bullpen full time, leaving Taylor Jordan and Tanner Roark to compete for the final spot in the starting rotation.
Williams told Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com that Detwiler was “not happy” about the decision “but I wouldn’t expect him to be.”
Detwiler was used exclusively as a starter last season before being shut down with a herniated disk in his back and 69 of his 85 career appearances have come as a starter. However, he has a mediocre 4.02 ERA as a starter and Williams said he thinks Detwiler has a chance to be “something special out of the bullpen” as a late-inning reliever.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 59
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11