Prince Fielder wishes his old Tigers teammates well

Mar 17, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT

Prince Fielder Getty Images

Ian Kinsler famously — and quite peevishly — wished his former team bad tidings after being traded, saying he wished they’d go 0-162 and calling his former GM Jon Daniels names. The guy he was traded for is a lot more magnanimous about his old mates.

This about the Tigers, from Jeff Passan’s feature on how Fielder is adjusting to Texas:

“I hope they win their division and have a great year,” Fielder said. “Unfortunately if they play us in the playoffs they might lose. If I didn’t say that, I’d be playing for the wrong team, wouldn’t I? I hope they have a great year. It’s a great bunch of guys, a great team.”

No sleazeballs among them? Not even one?

Read the entire article to hear about Fielder’s attitude. Which is the same as it ever was, really. Realistic and pretty level-headed. Despite how some Tigers fans felt about his alleged lack-of-engagement or caring as he left town.

1. gigab0t - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:12 PM

That makes sense. Avisail Garcia plays for the White Sox.

2. shortbusrebel - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Classy.

3. henryd3rd - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Prince Fielder can afford to be magnanimous when one calculates that he is going to be paid him to $166,444,444.00 over the next 7 years.

• Reflex - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Having worked around plenty of people with a lot of money, all I can say is that money can’t buy class. Classy people are classy, regardless of wealth. Jerks are jerks, money only changes the scope of who they can be jerks to.

4. historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:50 PM

That picture is just not right.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM

There, there.

• infieldhit - Mar 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM

He’ll always be a Brewer in my heart, too…

• don444 - May 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Just for the record, no one cares about your heart or your apparent delusion tht Fielder will forever remain a Brewer.

5. largebill - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Not surprised in the least by his “taking the high road” tone. Fielder has always seemed like a fairly easy going guy. The only “scrape” I’ve heard being involved in were personal stuff away from the game (estranged from Cecil & marital difficulties) that I couldn’t care less about. His teammates have had nothing but positive things to say about him.

• beefytrout - Mar 17, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Got a chance to visit Rangers ST last week. Fielder was laughing and joking with his teammates often, probably more than any other player with the exception of Andrus. Andrus, Fielder and Beltre seemed like they had played together for years.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:59 PM

What is the over/under on the number of times Fielder touches Beltre’s head in the dugout this season?

7. pwshrugged - Mar 17, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I don’t doubt it – Fielder always came across as a really relaxed, level-headed guy who simply enjoys playing baseball. He struck me as a big kid in a lot of ways, and it created great chemistry between him and Miggy.

That said, the downside to that attitude seems to be that once the game gets too into Prince’s head, his production suffers. That’s my theory to his playoff struggles – it’s no longer relaxed, no longer just fun. The Detroit situation complicated that further; he was constantly facing questions and observations about his relationship with his dad, which seemed to me always made him a little uncomfortable. I give them credit for seemingly patching things up a little more while Prince was in town, but it never seemed totally genuine, but goodness knows the media ate it up locally. I’m sure his divorce, and the eventual public knowledge of that, didn’t help, either. Or being the highest-paid free agent in Tigers history. A lot of pressure for a guy who just seems to want to kick back and play ball.

I think he’ll thrive in Texas, and I wish him the best. He seems like a genuinely great guy.

8. President Charles Logan - Mar 17, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Kind of off topic here but Texas need to quit wearing them red hats with their white home uniforms with the blue trim.

9. jrs45 - Mar 17, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Lmao! Priceless!

10. jrs45 - Mar 17, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Princes salary 166,444,444.00 > vs. how much detroit is worth 0.

• doctorofsmuganomics - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:20 AM

And yet they’re both better than you. Suck on that one

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3267)