Rockies outfielder Brandon Barnes is Bane now

Mar 17, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT

brandon barnes rockies bane

Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post has an interesting note about Rockies backup outfielder Brandon Barnes, who’s been training while wearing an altitude deprivation mask to prep for playing at Coors Field.

I know this is a very Calcaterra-like thing to write a post about, but Barnes basically looks like Bane (admittedly with a much, much better haircut than both Bane and Calcaterra, but still).

Colorado Springs is the team’s Triple-A affiliate, so even if Barnes doesn’t crack the Rockies’ big-league roster for Opening Day it’ll still come in handy.

1. anxovies - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:22 PM

OMG! Will he be quoting Marcus Aurelius and ordering fava beans?

2. cbking05 - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:25 PM

I thought he was wearing his teammates jock strap again…

3. personalspaceinvader - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Oh, you think altitude is your ally. But you merely adopted the fresh mountain air; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn’t breathe sea-level air until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but [a tool to help me drink more]!

• jcmeyer10 - Mar 17, 2014 at 6:06 PM

It was fun coming back from Boulder to Boston, knowing I could drink anyone under the table. A day later, it would be different.

4. tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I think he just doesn’t want to be seen playing for the Rockies.

Although that thing is cool. Where do you put the weed?

• happytwinsfan - Mar 17, 2014 at 5:31 PM

an air force flight mask works well

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2014 at 5:42 PM

To keep people from knowing you play for the Rockies?

Even though they are illegal now here in good old Florida, we have a few shops that still somehow operate….I went in one recently and was shocked to see they not only sold full blown vaporizers, but also gas masks for that purpose.

• happytwinsfan - Mar 17, 2014 at 5:58 PM

they would also work well to keep anyone from knowing that you play for the rockies

i must qualify by saying that recent air force masks might differ greatly from the early seventies models i’m thinking of.

hmm, how do army surplus stores evade the anti head shop laws?

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2014 at 6:02 PM

I don’t know but I’d consider going into one if everyone that went there didn’t scare the living crap out of me.

• happytwinsfan - Mar 17, 2014 at 7:17 PM

if you’re white just mutter stuff about obama and spit on the floor a few times. if you’re not white, yeah i’d be scared to.

• tfbuckfutter - Mar 17, 2014 at 8:23 PM

The problem is I don’t have an army jacket to wear there. And aside from there I don’t know where I would get one to wear there.

5. jeffa43 - Mar 17, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Hands down the one of the best fielding cf in baseball, his hitting is a different story… Has promise with the bat, but is lethal with the leather.

Media won’t agree with me, but his piers will. Mike Trout even said he is clearly one of the better defensive cf in baseball.

Best of luck Brandon… Your a good dude.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3360)