The Mets St. Patrick’s Day caps are … horrifying

Mar 17, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Can’t sleep, Irish Mr. Met will eat me . . .  can’t sleep, Irish Mr. Met will eat me  . . .

That’s no way to look, guys. Sport something like this: the Irish national baseball team cap:

source:

You can buy one like it here. The proceeds go to support the development of baseball in Ireland, to put on youth clinics and the like. Or, even better: Learn more here.

1. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 17, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Yet another caricature of a disadvantaged group in the US. Has there ever been a demographic so trivialized by ballcap mascots as the “fightin” Irish? We demand restitution!

Or something…

• pcoffey49 - Mar 17, 2014 at 3:12 PM

We demand restitution!………….Or we are going to start a fight! Those hats are terrible!

2. butchhuskey - Mar 17, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Be honest with us, Craig. You just wanted an excuse to take a selfie.

3. rockthered1286 - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Mr. Met as a red head, eh? Makes sense. Considering gingers have no souls.

4. karlkolchak - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Looks like a good hat to where while projectile vomiting after a St. Paddy’s Day drunken bender. Or maybe even without the drunken bender part.

5. cackalackyank - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Beealzabub? Is that you?

6. grumpyoleman - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I’m offended by that caricature. Can we please spend endless days talking about it like we do with Chief Wahoo and the Redskins name.

• yahmule - Mar 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM

As ye wish, laddie.

• chacochicken - Mar 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Are you a baseball?

• chacochicken - Mar 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Every Sunday the Redskins play is like a holiday for Native Americans? St. Patrick’s Day is a celebration of Irish ancestry and the Feast day of St. Patrick. Columbus day is not a celebration of Native American ancestry.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Let me just tell you, there is nothing more annoying than people who are not Irish telling you how to celebrate Paddy’s Day. Also, I hate people breaking out the m-word to be “funny.” Blech.

7. temporarilyexiled - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Patient: Dreamt Irish Mr. Met will eat me.

Shrink: (Okay commenters…now’s your chance…)

8. tysonpunchinguterus - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I’m incredibly offended by the cavalier nature with which the Mets openly mock those born with giant baseballs for heads. Just think of their poor mothers!

9. aceshigh11 - Mar 17, 2014 at 10:59 AM

That’s some bad hat, Harry.

10. dakotaandotter - Mar 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM

both hats are awful!

11. chinahand11 - Mar 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM

My eyes, my eyes!

12. stlouis1baseball - Mar 17, 2014 at 1:06 PM

If given the choice…I would take the Mets version. And it isn’t even close.
    At least their version is whimsical and fun loving. The one C.C. is wearing is hard to even discern what it is. So it’s a harp? I found this out by clicking on the link. Because it sure didn’t scream “harp” when I saw it.

• The Dangerous Mabry - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:18 PM

It sure looks like a harp to me. Or at least, it looks like the harp depicted on the Harp Lager label:

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I guess I am just not seeing it correctly. I mean…the harp on the Harp Lager label certainly looks like a harp. But the one on the hat doesn’t. At least to me. Maybe it is a little to busy. I don’t know. But I also don’t think the Met’s version is all that bad either.
        So yeah…it’s probably just me. Lol!

13. therooneyskilledwebster - Mar 17, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I’ll take the second hat and the first model.

14. corky2141 - Mar 17, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Can’t sleep, Irish Calceterra will eat me

15. yab1sh - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:05 PM

16. yab1sh - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Not sure why half the comment posted on its own…

In 2005, South Park aired an episode entitled “Ginger Kids,” in which individuals with red hair and freckles were mocked and ridiculed (as some have already noted in their comments). Needless to say, this has opened the floodgates and made life very difficult for those who have red hair (and/or freckles). Terms like “ginger,” and “freckle-face” are thrown around so nonchalantly. Nowadays no line exists, questions regarding one’s carpet and drapery combination are thrown about without any regard for common decency. Sure, Native Americans have had it rough, but imagine not being able to stand in the sun for over one minute without being burnt to a crisp. Having your skin develop a pinkish hue while friends pat you on the back regarding some accomplishment, suspecting all along that the real reason is just to make the burn even worse. Having skin so white that at times during the day, if you catch the lighting just right, you swear you can see the inside of your body. Yes, these are just some of the issues Red Heads live with day in and day out. And now, to top it all off, someone decides to develop this crude, racist image of an Irish-American and plop it on the heads of Met’s players with no regards towards how it might affect those Irish-Americans within our own country. Unreal the direction this country is headed, God help us.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Comparing sunburns to the genocide of Native Americans is neither clever nor funny.

• yab1sh - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I bet you’d find it a little funnier after a visit to the proctologist.

• historiophiliac - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:11 PM

What?

17. mikhelb - Mar 17, 2014 at 2:15 PM

And speaking of clowns (Craig’s semi-quote was from an episode of “The Simpsons” where Bart Simpson is afraid of a horrible nightmare-inducing “clown bed” his dad constructed for him)… that selfie reminded me of the clown that lived in closets in “The Real Ghostbusters”.

18. anxovies - Mar 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

They play baseball in Ireland? Does it involve pints of Guinness at every base?

• jwbiii - Mar 17, 2014 at 4:52 PM

They’re ranked #60 in the world. Right between New Caledonia and Slovenia.

19. deebs1976 - Mar 17, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Every comment and joke so far in this thread is null and void, because that is a caricature of a leprechaun and not a caricature of an Irishman.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (5091)