Mar 17, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Interesting story today from JJ Stankevitz of CSNChicago.com about the challenge White Sox head groundskeeper Roger Bossard faces to get U.S. Cellular Field ready for Opening Day on March 31 against the Twins. After a brutal winter, it’s not going to be easy.
As things stand, a brutal Chicago winter has left about 30 inches of permafrost beneath the playing surface at U.S. Cellular Field. Bossard needs to thaw the ground down about six to 10 inches for the field to be playable — though the brutal Chicago winter hasn’t loosened its grip to allow that to happen naturally.
So Bossard’s strategy is twofold. After removing about 400 tons of snow from the field over the weekend, he’s working on heating and thawing the playing surface from above and beneath.
Two tarps were stationed on the left and right sides of the infield on Monday with powerful heaters blasting warm air to help thaw the ground. The temperature under the tarps is around 75 degrees, and Bossard said it’ll take three days of constant heat to thaw the required six to 10 inches on those areas of the field.
Crazy stuff. While Bossard remains optimistic that his crew will be able to get the field ready in time, Stankevitz writes that Chicago is expected to get another cold blast this weekend and will experience a low below freezing every day leading into Opening Day. With less than two weeks to go, they could be cutting it close.
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 5
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 58
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 46
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (248)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)