Mar 17, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Scary scene in Goodyear at today’s Reds-Indians game. Umpire Brad Myers left the game after being hit “in groin region” by a Brandon Phillips line drive. He was down on the field for several minutes but then was up under his own power and taken from the field on a golf cart.
The game was already being officiated by only three field umpires. MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that replay umpire John Tumpane, who was in the replay truck, replaced Myers on the field. MLB umpire supervisor Randy Marsh happened to be in attendance at Goodyear, and he is taking over as the replay umpire.
Tough way to leave a game for Myers. Nice coverage by the rest of the crew.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)