Mar 17, 2014, 5:00 PM EST
Scary scene in Goodyear at today’s Reds-Indians game. Umpire Brad Myers left the game after being hit “in groin region” by a Brandon Phillips line drive. He was down on the field for several minutes but then was up under his own power and taken from the field on a golf cart.
The game was already being officiated by only three field umpires. MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that replay umpire John Tumpane, who was in the replay truck, replaced Myers on the field. MLB umpire supervisor Randy Marsh happened to be in attendance at Goodyear, and he is taking over as the replay umpire.
Tough way to leave a game for Myers. Nice coverage by the rest of the crew.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 75
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 41
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)