Mar 17, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Scary scene in Goodyear at today’s Reds-Indians game. Umpire Brad Myers left the game after being hit “in groin region” by a Brandon Phillips line drive. He was down on the field for several minutes but then was up under his own power and taken from the field on a golf cart.
The game was already being officiated by only three field umpires. MLB.com’s Jordan Bastian reports that replay umpire John Tumpane, who was in the replay truck, replaced Myers on the field. MLB umpire supervisor Randy Marsh happened to be in attendance at Goodyear, and he is taking over as the replay umpire.
Tough way to leave a game for Myers. Nice coverage by the rest of the crew.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 30
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)