Mar 17, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Josh Phegly, Hector Gimenez, and Rule 5 pick Adrian Nieto are the other options, so it’s not as if Flowers had stiff competition for the gig, but he’s coming off a miserable season in which he hit just .195 with 94 strikeouts in 84 games while playing through a shoulder injury that eventually required surgery.
Flowers admitted to hiding the injury from Ventura and the rest of the coaching staff, but he’ll get another crack at the job as a 28-year-old. Once upon a time Flowers looked like a decent prospect and his presence was part of the reason why the White Sox let A.J. Pierzynski leave as a free agent, but Flowers is now a career .200 hitter with a .652 OPS in 192 games and has never been considered a particularly strong defensive catcher.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)