Mar 17, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Josh Phegly, Hector Gimenez, and Rule 5 pick Adrian Nieto are the other options, so it’s not as if Flowers had stiff competition for the gig, but he’s coming off a miserable season in which he hit just .195 with 94 strikeouts in 84 games while playing through a shoulder injury that eventually required surgery.
Flowers admitted to hiding the injury from Ventura and the rest of the coaching staff, but he’ll get another crack at the job as a 28-year-old. Once upon a time Flowers looked like a decent prospect and his presence was part of the reason why the White Sox let A.J. Pierzynski leave as a free agent, but Flowers is now a career .200 hitter with a .652 OPS in 192 games and has never been considered a particularly strong defensive catcher.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)