Mar 17, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Josh Phegly, Hector Gimenez, and Rule 5 pick Adrian Nieto are the other options, so it’s not as if Flowers had stiff competition for the gig, but he’s coming off a miserable season in which he hit just .195 with 94 strikeouts in 84 games while playing through a shoulder injury that eventually required surgery.
Flowers admitted to hiding the injury from Ventura and the rest of the coaching staff, but he’ll get another crack at the job as a 28-year-old. Once upon a time Flowers looked like a decent prospect and his presence was part of the reason why the White Sox let A.J. Pierzynski leave as a free agent, but Flowers is now a career .200 hitter with a .652 OPS in 192 games and has never been considered a particularly strong defensive catcher.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (76)