Mar 17, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Yoenis Cespedes has been working with hitting coach Chili Davis to shorten his swing and so far the results aren’t pretty, as the A’s outfielder is in the middle of a 0-for-20 slump.
Davis told Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com that the struggles at the plate have caused Cespedes to lose focus on the long-term goals of the mechanical changes:
It’s not gonna be perfect every time, but for Ces, he expects perfection. It frustrates him that he’s not perfect every time. It’s not a bad thing, but you’ve gotta understand that this game is an imperfect game.
Cespedes has always been known for his tremendous raw power, but Stiglich writes that “he’s having trouble lifting the ball and generating power.” Or as Cespedes himself put it: “It’s kind of a little difficult for me to create that swing when my whole life I’ve had a long swing.”
It’s also worth noting that, long swing and all, Cespedes’ production declined significantly last season. He went from hitting .292 with an .861 OPS as the Rookie of the Year runner-up in 2012 to hitting .240 with a .737 OPS last season, although his power numbers remained essentially the same.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)