Mar 17, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Yoenis Cespedes has been working with hitting coach Chili Davis to shorten his swing and so far the results aren’t pretty, as the A’s outfielder is in the middle of a 0-for-20 slump.
Davis told Joe Stiglich of CSNBayArea.com that the struggles at the plate have caused Cespedes to lose focus on the long-term goals of the mechanical changes:
It’s not gonna be perfect every time, but for Ces, he expects perfection. It frustrates him that he’s not perfect every time. It’s not a bad thing, but you’ve gotta understand that this game is an imperfect game.
Cespedes has always been known for his tremendous raw power, but Stiglich writes that “he’s having trouble lifting the ball and generating power.” Or as Cespedes himself put it: “It’s kind of a little difficult for me to create that swing when my whole life I’ve had a long swing.”
It’s also worth noting that, long swing and all, Cespedes’ production declined significantly last season. He went from hitting .292 with an .861 OPS as the Rookie of the Year runner-up in 2012 to hitting .240 with a .737 OPS last season, although his power numbers remained essentially the same.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)