Adam Dunn is not a voracious reader

Mar 18, 2014, 4:20 PM EST

Bo Jackson is in White Sox camp today. Adam Dunn is quite the admirer of Bo’s. So much so that he broke his lifelong streak of literacy avoidance in order to learn more about the guy:

I find this hard to believe. I imagine if you walked around the University of Texas campus in the fall of 1998, you could see Freshman Adam Dunn sitting in a nice sunny spot of the grassy quad reading a copy of “Gravity’s Rainbow.” Or maybe Dostoyevsky. I feel like Dunn maybe wrestles with those sorts of literary issues.

Or maybe he’s just paid to be a ballplayer. Could be either one.

1. bigharold - Mar 18, 2014 at 4:33 PM

And, we Irish were considered a literary people, .. then along comes Adam Dunn.

• yahmule - Mar 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Also, some of you are able to detect tongue-in-cheek comments better than others.

• bigharold - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Yes, that could be said of many.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Are you Irish Harold? If so, I trust that you enjoyed yesterday.

• bigharold - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:00 PM

100% third generation but sadly, as my favorite NYC Irish bartender pointed out, “.. if you were born here and your parents were born her you’re American.” But, I still have an irrational disdain for the English.

I like Canadians though, .. most of them.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:18 PM

LOL! I was born here as was dad; however, 3 grandparents were English and 1 was Irish. I am glad for you that your Yankees remembered how to hit today. Up until today, too many of them were having a poor spring.

• historiophiliac - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Quite a number of Irish people came to the US through Canada — including the infamous Mother Jones, whose brother was remained in Toronto where her family landed.

Also, almost sorry about the grand slam Mrs. Kelly’s son had against your boys today.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Mrs. Kelly has reason to be proud of her son for hitting a grand slam off a Triple A pitcher.

• historiophiliac - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:40 PM

He’s no MVP Miggy.

• historiophiliac - Mar 18, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Sheesh. That should be: Mother Jones’ brother who was a priest and remained in Toronto (where her family settled after leaving Ireland). I certainly know better than to conjugate like “was remained.” /sniffs

• nothanksimdriving123 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Oh Histo, “infamous” Mother Jones? Boo. She was awesome.

• historiophiliac - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:11 PM

I love her, but you know she was “the most dangerous woman in America.”

• dcarroll73 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:19 PM

historio, I was wondering if “was remained” was some archaic synonym for “was interred”. And here I am thinking it was a sad story of loss.

• historiophiliac - Mar 19, 2014 at 12:44 AM

No, actually Rev. Harris became a noted figure in his own right (of a more scholarly bent).

2. scatterbrian - Mar 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Voracious? is that some new teen book series?

3. chacochicken - Mar 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM

So Bo taught a donkey to read. Amazing.

4. gothapotamus90210 - Mar 18, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Craig, something tells me the faithless kiss between Alyosha and Ivan went over Dunn’s head.

• dcarroll73 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Better that than “a screaming comes across the sky” going over his head.

• bsbiz - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Oh, he watched plenty of screamers go over his head when he played left field.

5. 6stn - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Mother Jones and Adam Dunn: A Jeopardy category pertaining to strikes?

6. levistahl - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Don’t buy it–Dunn is changing his story: years ago he said he had read two books–Summer of the Monkeys and Friday Night Lights.

So a while back I commissioned my friend, painter, cabdriver, and author Dmitry Samarov, to paint me a picture of Dunn reading Summer of the Monkeys:

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5192)