Mar 18, 2014, 6:27 PM EST
Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen was shut down at the beginning of March because of soreness in his throwing shoulder, but the 32-year-old right-hander is pretty much back on track now.
According to MLB.com’s Adam Berry, Janssen tossed a round of live batting practice on Tuesday in Blue Jays camp and reported no issues with his right shoulder. He will take two days off before making his Grapefruit League debut on Friday.
“Another step in the right direction,” Janssen told MLB.com on Tuesday afternoon. “Got the heart pumping a little bit, which was nice. I’m sure Friday’s going to be more of the same, hopefully a little bit more in the velocity department, just because there will be defenders behind me.”
Janssen dealt with a similar shoulder issue last spring and went to post an oustanding 2.56 ERA and 0.987 WHIP in 52 2/3 innings while racking up 34 saves. He is fully expected to be ready for Opening Day 2014.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 130
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 258
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (258)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)