Mar 18, 2014, 4:38 PM EST
Bo Jackson, who along with Deion Sanders was one of the most famous and accomplished two sport athletes of all time, has some advice for Russell Wilson or anyone else who thinks they can play baseball and football: Don’t. Indeed, he doesn’t think he could do it if he came up today. From Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com:
“I probably couldn’t, no,” Jackson said. “Just because the talent pool is that deep now. If my kids want to do both sports – ‘No. No. No.’ … If you try to do both you’re going to be riding the bench in both. You’ll never get to that level that you want to get to if you split your time between multiple sports.”
Jackson says the training is too specialized and intense. The time commitment too great. And most especially the talent pool is so deep that if you don’t focus all of your effort on one sport you have no chance at all.
Which is just another amazing thing about Bo Jackson. In addition to everything he accomplished, he’s one of the few aging athletes who doesn’t think everything was tougher back in his day and the athletes today are too soft and stuff. He’s a regular Herman Jacobs.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27