Mar 18, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Headley suffered a Grade 1 strain of his right calf in late February and has been taking it easy in Padres camp so that the injury doesn’t linger into the regular season. He expects to be 100 percent healthy for Opening Day, though his swing timing might be slightly off because of a lack of work in live games.
Headley got a late start to the 2013 season due to a fractured thumb and wound up posting an underwhelming .749 OPS with 13 home runs and 50 RBI in 141 games. He finished the 2012 campaign with an .875 OPS, 31 home runs, and 115 RBI.
The 29-year-old is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)