Mar 18, 2014, 7:32 PM EST
Headley suffered a Grade 1 strain of his right calf in late February and has been taking it easy in Padres camp so that the injury doesn’t linger into the regular season. He expects to be 100 percent healthy for Opening Day, though his swing timing might be slightly off because of a lack of work in live games.
Headley got a late start to the 2013 season due to a fractured thumb and wound up posting an underwhelming .749 OPS with 13 home runs and 50 RBI in 141 games. He finished the 2012 campaign with an .875 OPS, 31 home runs, and 115 RBI.
The 29-year-old is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)