Mar 18, 2014, 7:32 PM EST
Headley suffered a Grade 1 strain of his right calf in late February and has been taking it easy in Padres camp so that the injury doesn’t linger into the regular season. He expects to be 100 percent healthy for Opening Day, though his swing timing might be slightly off because of a lack of work in live games.
Headley got a late start to the 2013 season due to a fractured thumb and wound up posting an underwhelming .749 OPS with 13 home runs and 50 RBI in 141 games. He finished the 2012 campaign with an .875 OPS, 31 home runs, and 115 RBI.
The 29-year-old is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 26
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40