Mar 18, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT
Headley suffered a Grade 1 strain of his right calf in late February and has been taking it easy in Padres camp so that the injury doesn’t linger into the regular season. He expects to be 100 percent healthy for Opening Day, though his swing timing might be slightly off because of a lack of work in live games.
Headley got a late start to the 2013 season due to a fractured thumb and wound up posting an underwhelming .749 OPS with 13 home runs and 50 RBI in 141 games. He finished the 2012 campaign with an .875 OPS, 31 home runs, and 115 RBI.
The 29-year-old is currently scheduled to become a free agent five days after the 2014 World Series.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)