Mar 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez stepped on a cactus one week ago and the Brewers right-hander is still pulling spines out of his foot, but it hasn’t stopped him from pitching in multiple games since then.
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com writes that Rodriguez “pulled three or four dime-sized spines on Sunday and three more on Monday morning” and then went out that night and struck out two of the three batters he faced in a 1-2-3 inning.
He took off his sock and showed reporters the bottom of his foot, which is still dotted with dozens of buried spines. As the swelling subsides in his foot, more are emerging to be plucked, but one clump in a tender area of his mid-foot continues to cause significant pain.
So yeah, K-Rod might be kind of a tough guy.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 32
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)