Francisco Rodriguez still has cactus spines in his foot, but keeps pitching

Mar 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT

Francisco Rodriguez AP

Francisco Rodriguez stepped on a cactus one week ago and the Brewers right-hander is still pulling spines out of his foot, but it hasn’t stopped him from pitching in multiple games since then.

Adam McCalvy of MLB.com writes that Rodriguez “pulled three or four dime-sized spines on Sunday and three more on Monday morning” and then went out that night and struck out two of the three batters he faced in a 1-2-3 inning.

He took off his sock and showed reporters the bottom of his foot, which is still dotted with dozens of buried spines. As the swelling subsides in his foot, more are emerging to be plucked, but one clump in a tender area of his mid-foot continues to cause significant pain.

So yeah, K-Rod might be kind of a tough guy.

1. jm91rs - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:07 AM

I’ve never been out that way, but is this common or was he walking barefoot somewhere he shouldn’t have been?

• uwsptke - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:33 PM

He said he ran outside quick to chase his son back inside since he had snuck out into the backyard. It was almost dark, so it was difficult to see and stepped on the cactus.

2. stex52 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Y’know, just a kind of random thought here. Maybe he ought to have the trainers or a doctor working on that. A pitcher generally isn’t real good if he can’t plant his foot. He might be a tough guy, but I don’t see a future for him in rocket science.

• uwsptke - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:34 PM

They worked on him the next day to get all they could. As the swelling subsides, they can pull more out.

3. dowhatifeellike - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Why not have them surgically removed? He’s just begging for an infection.

4. penguins87and71 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:16 AM

This is basically just like stepping on glass.

5. rbj1 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Clearly he’s gritty and his TWTW is off the charts.

6. cur'68 - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I recently sliced the living crap out of the sole of my foot while avoiding drowning. I limped and whined and puled about it like a 5 year old. Still am, in fact. If this site allowed personal pictures I’d post one of the sole and top of my foot JUST for the sympathy. I certainly wouldn’t be trying to throw baseballs while landing heavily or pushing off on it. So yeah, in my estimation Francisco Rodriguez is tough. Tougher than me by logarithmic amounts. Still, the notion of him in pain by what might be deemed an Act of God fills me with a certain amount of satisfaction. Next time don’t beat up your girlfriend, douchebag.

Now, if I can just figure out what sin I need to atone for that resulted in “the mark of Jesus” on my foot (that’s a through-and-through puncture folks but it beat the HELL out of drowning) I’ll gladly make amends.

• stex52 - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Haven’t heard that story yet, Cur. You will have to share it. I could have told you those beaches are treacherous. Glad you are still here, but thanks for not posting those pictures at lunch time.

It is God’s sign to you that you need to take a new direction in your fantasy drafting.

• cur'68 - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Its Dog telling me not to throw her frisbee into a current while the tide is coming in and getting my foot hooked up in tree roots swimming after it.

Know what? Its an excellent story and I might as well write a bit more about it for amusements sake;

I’d seen a good sized shark in the water at this wee beach which is an off leash dog beach not far from Fort Myers. Someone’s dog had actually charged in after the shark! It was an awesome spectacle: the dog, a chocolate, short tailed, bird dog, was ripping through the surf at the shark. The shark, tail fin and dorsal fin visible, was trolling along about 50 feet offshore in knee deep water, heading for a deep current and pass between a sandbar and the beach. The dog’s owner, a big muscular young fella was charging along behind his dog, screaming “OAKLEY! COME BACK!!!!” in a shrill and desperate voice. Dog, man, and shark all met up pretty much at once to the horrified gaze of a beach full on lookers. The dog was about 60 or 70 lbs and looked small next to what was visible of the shark. It ended well, with the young fella carrying Oakley back to the shore and the shark went off into the deeper current, never to be seen again.

Then, about a week or so later, I engaged in a bit of frisbee retrieval in that same current, got my damn fool self caught up in the tree roots there, bled like a stuck pig in the water, and managed to get back to the beach after pulling free with the memory of that impressive sized shark still pretty fresh in my mind. I have never swum so fast in my life. Lost the frisbee, too.

Florida. The state slogan oughta be “A 1000 Ways to Die an Interesting Death”.

• NatsLady - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:46 PM

You can share a link to the picture. I won’t click on it, but someone might.

7. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I hope it doesn’t make him cranky.

8. zdravit - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Might as well keep them in all year so you’ll have an excuse ready to go when you suck.

1. M. Bumgarner (3953)