Mar 18, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez stepped on a cactus one week ago and the Brewers right-hander is still pulling spines out of his foot, but it hasn’t stopped him from pitching in multiple games since then.
Adam McCalvy of MLB.com writes that Rodriguez “pulled three or four dime-sized spines on Sunday and three more on Monday morning” and then went out that night and struck out two of the three batters he faced in a 1-2-3 inning.
He took off his sock and showed reporters the bottom of his foot, which is still dotted with dozens of buried spines. As the swelling subsides in his foot, more are emerging to be plucked, but one clump in a tender area of his mid-foot continues to cause significant pain.
So yeah, K-Rod might be kind of a tough guy.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 28
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 172
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (172)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)