Meanwhile, in Australia . . .

Mar 18, 2014, 9:50 AM EST

Dodgers catcher Tim Federowicz has only been in Australia for one day, but he seems to be enjoying himself thus far:

In non-culinary news, the Dodgers took batting practice today and report that the ball flies out of Sydney Cricket Ground and that the grass is super fast. So I suppose we’ll be looking for a lot of offense from the Dodgers and Dbacks next weekend.

1. number42is1 - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Tastes like Chicken

• Professor Fate - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:16 AM

More like venison, but not as gamey. Some hint of beef, but leaner.

• cur'68 - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Yep. I’ve had my share of ‘Roo and its not bad. Pro-tip: do not smoke Chinese cigarettes and drink home made alcohol with your meal. You will throw up. That applies to every kind of meal, not just ‘roo.

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Not as gamey? They must have soaked your ‘roo in milk for a week, and let your venison grow a beard of adipocere before they cooked it.

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:21 AM

The primary economic application for ‘roo in Oz is…dog food. Really. I ate it at the recommendation of a colleague there once. If you ever imagined what rat must taste like, well, that’s it. It will remain to be seen whether Federowicz has developed a taste for Alpo by the time he gets home. Whereas we find them cute and amusing because we don’t have to live with them leaping out in front of our cars all the time, they enjoy the eco-social status of vermin in their native land. I strongly recommend that Federowicz try buffalo beef, barramundi and Balmain bugs (which are lobsters) instead.

And be wary of drop bears.

• rollinghighwayblues - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM

“If you ever imagined what rat must taste like, well, that’s it.”

Reminds me of the time I was in south Louisiana and I was highly prodded to eat nutria rat. Wasn’t terrible but I couldn’t look myself in the mirror for a month. You know what they say in Louisiana, “if you find it in a ditch then it’s game on.”

• stex52 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I grew up in east Texas and never even considered eating nutria. I visited Australia and passed on the ‘roo. I think the best principle is to maintain a non-rodent/non-marsupial diet.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I am sure that kangaroos make lousy dinner companions. No table manners at all.

• raysfan1 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM

• paperlions - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM

I’ve eaten a few species of rat (including nutria), and they are pretty good…especially if you make milenesita out of it…or in the case of squirrels or larger rats, bread and fry (or bake) it like you would chicken or rabbit. Rat tastes pretty good…though I wouldn’t eat a species of Rattus, they just smell nasty on the outside.

Armadillo is totally under rated, it is similar to pork, but better.

I can’t imagine ‘roo not being a fine meat if adequately prepared.

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Roo has an earthy, gamy backtaste to it, like humus, that I find unendurably gagg-inducing. Nothing like squirrel, which, like rabbit, I ackcherley enjoy – especially in classic colonial game pie recipes like the ones at the great taverns at Colonial Williamsburg. But I have had ‘dilly and it is pretty good. And just as well. We can’t depend on vultures to clean up all our roadkill for us.

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2014 at 2:16 PM

PS – the world famous Luna Star Cafe in North Macondo introduced ‘roo burgers and casseroles into their menu last year because the owner really liked the stuff.

No one else did. I used to love to watch her talking the regulars into tasting it, then tested my authorial skills by trying to describe their expressions following their first mouthfulls. I think she’s still got a freezer full of it back home. Too bad she doesn’t have a dog. We do, but ours have been spoiled by coprophagia and won’t touch the stuff.

• kiwicricket - Mar 18, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Morton Bay Bugs is what you want, Gator….
        Roo is exceptionally lean. Difficult to BBQ, kind of like Rabbit in a way. Too much and you may as well fit it to the rims of your motorcar.

Actually quite an intimidating animal. Muscular little arms, massive legs and stride. Love heckling you while playing your golf-ball out from under the trees.

2. chacochicken - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I only box’em, never eat ‘em.

• unclemosesgreen - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Then you’re just tenderizing them for someone else.

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Not nearly as much as the grill of a semi, though.

3. spudchukar - Mar 18, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Sydney Pie.

4. jrbdmb - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:33 AM

In the northeast I’ve often heard deer referred to as “rats with hooves”, so I guess ‘roos are “rats with a pouch”. So in a sense Professor Fate’s comment makes sense. Maybe if you mix it with enough hamburger you won’t be able to tell.

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Right. You’ll just think that your hamburger has gone bad.

• nbjays - Mar 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I thought ‘possums were “rats with a pouch”…

5. stupidusername - Mar 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM

“So I suppose we’ll be looking for a lot of offense from the Dodgers and Dbacks next weekend.”

Ooohh I can’t wait to watch it…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3223)
  2. J. Kang (3078)
  3. C. McGehee (2801)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2771)
  5. J. Upton (2756)