Mar 18, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
All offseason there were various reports about how the Mets were willing to trade Ike Davis and now Adam Rubin of ESPN New York says general manager Sandy Alderson “has started to approach teams with whom he had talks during the winter” to see if they’re still interested in the first baseman.
Davis has been sidelined by a calf injury and Rubin says the odds of a trade remain relatively low, but “Alderson will go through the due diligence just in case.”
Davis’ overall numbers were miserable last season, but after hitting .165 in the first half he batted .286 with a .954 OPS in the second half, including a fantastic .449 on-base percentage and more walks (32) than strikeouts (28).
It’s tough to imagine the Mets getting much for Davis at this point, so waiting to see if he can at least get healthy and get off to a good start would seemingly make the most sense.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 136
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 83
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 29
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (175)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (85)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)