Mar 18, 2014, 12:26 PM EST
All offseason there were various reports about how the Mets were willing to trade Ike Davis and now Adam Rubin of ESPN New York says general manager Sandy Alderson “has started to approach teams with whom he had talks during the winter” to see if they’re still interested in the first baseman.
Davis has been sidelined by a calf injury and Rubin says the odds of a trade remain relatively low, but “Alderson will go through the due diligence just in case.”
Davis’ overall numbers were miserable last season, but after hitting .165 in the first half he batted .286 with a .954 OPS in the second half, including a fantastic .449 on-base percentage and more walks (32) than strikeouts (28).
It’s tough to imagine the Mets getting much for Davis at this point, so waiting to see if he can at least get healthy and get off to a good start would seemingly make the most sense.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)