Mar 18, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
All offseason there were various reports about how the Mets were willing to trade Ike Davis and now Adam Rubin of ESPN New York says general manager Sandy Alderson “has started to approach teams with whom he had talks during the winter” to see if they’re still interested in the first baseman.
Davis has been sidelined by a calf injury and Rubin says the odds of a trade remain relatively low, but “Alderson will go through the due diligence just in case.”
Davis’ overall numbers were miserable last season, but after hitting .165 in the first half he batted .286 with a .954 OPS in the second half, including a fantastic .449 on-base percentage and more walks (32) than strikeouts (28).
It’s tough to imagine the Mets getting much for Davis at this point, so waiting to see if he can at least get healthy and get off to a good start would seemingly make the most sense.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 0
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)