Mar 18, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
All offseason there were various reports about how the Mets were willing to trade Ike Davis and now Adam Rubin of ESPN New York says general manager Sandy Alderson “has started to approach teams with whom he had talks during the winter” to see if they’re still interested in the first baseman.
Davis has been sidelined by a calf injury and Rubin says the odds of a trade remain relatively low, but “Alderson will go through the due diligence just in case.”
Davis’ overall numbers were miserable last season, but after hitting .165 in the first half he batted .286 with a .954 OPS in the second half, including a fantastic .449 on-base percentage and more walks (32) than strikeouts (28).
It’s tough to imagine the Mets getting much for Davis at this point, so waiting to see if he can at least get healthy and get off to a good start would seemingly make the most sense.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)