Mar 18, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
All offseason there were various reports about how the Mets were willing to trade Ike Davis and now Adam Rubin of ESPN New York says general manager Sandy Alderson “has started to approach teams with whom he had talks during the winter” to see if they’re still interested in the first baseman.
Davis has been sidelined by a calf injury and Rubin says the odds of a trade remain relatively low, but “Alderson will go through the due diligence just in case.”
Davis’ overall numbers were miserable last season, but after hitting .165 in the first half he batted .286 with a .954 OPS in the second half, including a fantastic .449 on-base percentage and more walks (32) than strikeouts (28).
It’s tough to imagine the Mets getting much for Davis at this point, so waiting to see if he can at least get healthy and get off to a good start would seemingly make the most sense.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 9
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 14
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 23
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 82
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 60
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)