Mar 18, 2014, 6:36 AM EST
Yesterday we heard that, in the event that the Tigers came calling about Jimmy Rollins, the veteran shortstop would not waive his 10-5 rights in order to make a deal happen. Buster Olney reports this morning that this could be more than a hypothetical situation:
Sources: There is strong sentiment within PHI organization right now that the team would be better off trading shortstop Jimmy Rollins ASAP.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) March 18, 2014
Whether this is about general team construction or whether this is about Rollins’ recent dustup with Ryne Sandberg is unclear. But either way it spells trouble. You don’t want to start the season with difficult-to-negotiate issues like the desire to trade a possibly untradable veteran. It creates problems for the players and managers in that they’ll be asked about it all the time. It bums fans out because it sends the signal, before Opening Day even starts, that the team itself is not happy with its construction.
Just not the way the Phillies want to be heading into the season.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)