Mar 18, 2014, 6:36 AM EDT
Yesterday we heard that, in the event that the Tigers came calling about Jimmy Rollins, the veteran shortstop would not waive his 10-5 rights in order to make a deal happen. Buster Olney reports this morning that this could be more than a hypothetical situation:
Sources: There is strong sentiment within PHI organization right now that the team would be better off trading shortstop Jimmy Rollins ASAP.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) March 18, 2014
Whether this is about general team construction or whether this is about Rollins’ recent dustup with Ryne Sandberg is unclear. But either way it spells trouble. You don’t want to start the season with difficult-to-negotiate issues like the desire to trade a possibly untradable veteran. It creates problems for the players and managers in that they’ll be asked about it all the time. It bums fans out because it sends the signal, before Opening Day even starts, that the team itself is not happy with its construction.
Just not the way the Phillies want to be heading into the season.
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- NLCS, Game 5: Cardinals vs. Giants lineups 30
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)