Mar 18, 2014, 6:36 AM EDT
Yesterday we heard that, in the event that the Tigers came calling about Jimmy Rollins, the veteran shortstop would not waive his 10-5 rights in order to make a deal happen. Buster Olney reports this morning that this could be more than a hypothetical situation:
Sources: There is strong sentiment within PHI organization right now that the team would be better off trading shortstop Jimmy Rollins ASAP.
— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) March 18, 2014
Whether this is about general team construction or whether this is about Rollins’ recent dustup with Ryne Sandberg is unclear. But either way it spells trouble. You don’t want to start the season with difficult-to-negotiate issues like the desire to trade a possibly untradable veteran. It creates problems for the players and managers in that they’ll be asked about it all the time. It bums fans out because it sends the signal, before Opening Day even starts, that the team itself is not happy with its construction.
Just not the way the Phillies want to be heading into the season.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 52
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 12
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 32
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 34
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 350
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (350)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (184)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)