Yordano Ventura and his 100-mph fastball will be in the Royals’ rotation

Mar 18, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT

Yordano Ventura Royals AP

Everyone loves a new pitching phenom, so here’s some good news: 22-year-old flame-thrower Yordano Ventura has won a spot in the Royals’ starting rotation, according to Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star.

Ventura made his MLB debut with three September starts last season and has been extremely impressive all spring, flashing a triple-digit fastball that helped him rack up 155 strikeouts in 135 innings between Double-A and Triple-A last season.

Ventura will start Game 3 of the regular season after beating out left-hander Danny Duffy, a one-time top prospect now making his way back from Tommy John elbow surgery. And that likely means Duffy is headed back to Triple-A, where he’ll try to impress the Royals enough to eventually replace veteran Bruce Chen in the rotation.

In terms of raw stuff and upside Ventura is one of the top handful of pitching prospects in all of baseball, so even as a Twins fan destined to watch him dominate my favorite team’s lineup for the next decade or so I’m really looking forward to watching him pitch every fifth day.

1. proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:36 AM

He should be very exciting to watch. Do the Royals finally have a home grown ace? Lets hope so.

• zzalapski - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM

2009 wasn’t *that* long ago.

• baberuthslegs - Mar 18, 2014 at 1:56 PM

That would be a good nickname for him… “Ace” Ventura

• proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM

It works for me.

• kevinbnyc - Mar 18, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllrighty then.

• dirtyharry1971 - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:13 PM

well we sure as hell know the jays don’t have an Ace on that NL staff

• captainwisdom8888 - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:35 PM

i was able to draft this guy with the very last pick in my fantasy draft yesterday

• proudlycanadian - Mar 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM

A steal.

• weaselpuppy - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:31 PM

cool story bro

2. royalsin2013 - Mar 18, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Unfortunately the Royals announced plan is to have Duffy work in relief in Spring training to try to win a spot in the bullpen. The KCStar quotes Yost as saying, “We want to take the 12 best pictures that we’ve got.” I would love to see him continue to work as a starter. I just don’t think our starting rotation is good enough to make the playoffs and we have to get lucky with some youngsters like Ventura, Duffy, and Zimmer this year.

• royalsin2013 - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Actually, the Star wrote “pitchers” and I misquoted them. Damn, I thought Yost had turned into an avid photographer.

3. kcrobert10 - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I agree with the above poster I don’t think the rotation is good enough to get to the playoffs that being said I saw his start last night and even though it was spring this guy has some nasty stuff. I also hope Duffy can figure out strike 1 so he can be in the rotation cause I’m not so convinced that Chen and Guthrie’s smoke (or lack there of) and mirrors tactics will last much longer.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Not a bad plan to keep Duffy in the pen for a while as he makes his way back from TJ surgery. He can probably help the big club while limiting his innings, and could potentially transition back to the rotation later in the year or next season.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey