Aroldis Chapman carted off field after taking liner to head, diagnosed with facial fractures

Mar 19, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT

Reds closer Aroldis Chapman was struck in the face with a line drive off the bat of Royals catcher Salvador Perez on Wednesday night in a Cactus League game and needed to be carted off the field.

Medical personnel ran immediately out to the mound when Chapman went down and the hard-throwing left-hander’s father soon followed. A stretcher came out and Chapman was rolled onto it with a backboard.

Here are reports from beat writers on-site, including C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, and Andy McCullough of the Kansas City Star

************************

A promising update here from Rosecrans, who’s reporting from the Reds’ clubhouse …

************************

Possibly the final update of the night, from the Reds’ official Twitter account …

************************

Tests were run right away and an early diagnosis is in. Via the Reds’ official Twitter feed …

1. greej1938l - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Don’t even dignify that guy with a response. That’s what he wants

2. janessa31888 - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:16 AM

I don’t think Ive seen a comment on here get 430 thumbs down. Must have been awful. Anyway, hope Chapman recovers from this. Yikes!

3. m3dman3 - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:23 AM

No matter who you root for, you hate to see this. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

4. Kevin S. - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Do I even want to know what the troll said?

• Old Gator - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:28 AM

No. Let’s just say it was inappropriate, and that this particular troll has some serious problems begging the intervention of professionals.

• sabatimus - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Amen.

• stex52 - Mar 20, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Missed it. Was it a troll we know and won’t miss, or some random scum?

• raysfan1 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:15 PM

A new troll.

• Old Gator - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM

But also random scum.

5. nbjays - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I hope Chapman is ok and recovers fully. Scary stuff!

In other news, I see the Thumb Harpy chose this time to make a reappearance.

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I think it was OG who had the theory it was a youngun with too much time on his/her hands. The timing (spring breakish) suggests that theory has merit.

BTW, I gave you a thumbs DOWN!!!!! :)

• nbjays - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Thank you! I’d expect nothing less. :-)

• historiophiliac - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:05 PM

And another! he he

6. keltictim - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Holy moley, part of me wants to see what the troll wrote, a bigger part of me thinks I’m better off not knowing.

If I was a pitcher, even if I came back from that 100% physically fine, I don’t think I could step on a mound again. Then again I’m not a professional athlete so I guess the mindsets a lot different.

7. shaggylocks - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:03 AM

I don’t understand all the thumbs down on comments expressing sadness and wishing Chapman a speedy recovery. Every corner of the internet has a couple of cretins lurking around, but no way are there that many here.

• Old Gator - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Nope, it could be the one hominid precursor of whom, if you check below, Craig has blessedly ridden us. I repeat: the thumbs are an idiotic feature, juvenile and easily manipulated by any sociopath with a keyboard, the obsession to make a dick of themselves and a copy of Hacking for Neandertals.

• vivabear - Mar 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Don’t be so worried about the thumbs, Old Felcher. Just ignore them.

• Old Gator - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I do, as you well know, sewerbear.

• vivabear - Mar 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

You apparently don’t know definition of ignore, Old Felcher.

• Old Gator - Mar 20, 2014 at 7:36 PM

You apparently don’t know the definition of sententious, scum mouth.

8. stevietimmy - Mar 20, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Peeking in to check on how the congregation of the HBT Church of the Self-Righteous are doing. Still the same I see.

9. ch0psuey - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Best to Aroldis, hope to see him hitting 100-105 again soon here in San Diego, fun guy to watch.

10. Fantasy Football Consultant - Mar 20, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Your all idiots

• raysfan1 - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Says the person who doesn’t know the difference between “your” and “you’re.”

11. musketmaniac - Mar 20, 2014 at 2:22 PM

ffc, you are correct sir. everybody that commented on one guy’s post came out looking like a bigger idiot. There is freedom of speech, obviously this most be the Christian section. all the judges on here. I say if you want to cheer because chappy got chapped does not make you a bad person, just a Brewers fan.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB