Corey Hart wishes his Brewers teammates reached out more when he was a free agent

Mar 19, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT

Here’s something you don’t hear very often. Corey Hart signed with the Mariners because they offered three times the guaranteed money the Brewers did.  That’s not the part you don’t hear very often. That happens a lot and it’s fine.

What’s odd is Hart noting that, in addition to the money not being there, he was kinda bummed that Brewers players didn’t each out to him more when he was on the market. From Adam McCalvy of mlb.com:

“I’m sure when we see each other there will be a lot of hugs. But that’s about it,” Hart said. “I think I was expecting more players to reach out and try to keep me. A lot of the coaches reached out. But these guys [the Mariners] were overwhelming. We had a few other teams that were right there too. I thought Milwaukee would have made it harder, but at the end of it, it wasn’t a tough decision.”

I guess he wanted them down on their hands and knees for him.

source: AP

1. halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Corey Hart: “I think I was expecting more players to reach out and try to keep me.”

I didn’t realize that teammates are now GM’s. Maybe his fellow teammates should have pooled together their paychecks to make up the difference the Mariners offered.

These players are so out of touch with reality it’s absurd. It really is.

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM

19 thumbs down as of 5:04PM? As the great Neil deGrasse Tyson would say: “The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it.” I state the truth, but the Brewer fans want no part of it.

• Old Gator - Mar 19, 2014 at 7:05 PM

‘ceps – you do realize that these stupid thumbs can be easily manipulated and piled up by individual correspondents, right? It’s a dumb, juvenile feature that allows cowards to make inarticulate comments, and total schmucks to do things like thumb down condolences or expressions of concern for sick or injured players or their families. I don’t know why Craig tolerates it in the first place. I don’t use it and don’t pay attention to it. You shouldn’t either.

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Old Gator, I do realize the function of the thumbs down crap. I thought I would state the obvious anyway. I am very touched, honestly, of your support since I have starting commenting on this site again. I really appreciate it. I really do. We will go through this season together in unison as Phillies and Marlins fans, respectively. I appreciate your intellect as well as your candidness. You are one of the main reasons I came back, my friend.

• paul621 - Mar 19, 2014 at 7:41 PM

How does the thumbs up/down feature allow people to make inarticulate comments? I figured it was the comment/reply feature that allowed that.

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Inarticulate comments? Explain and I will be happy to respond.

• paul621 - Mar 19, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Sorry, it was a response to Gator, not you–the system just puts it at the end under your comment.

• sandwiches4ever - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM

You don’t think having friends and associates recommend a place to work doesn’t factor into someone’s desire to work there?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I believe the reality is that players make “sales pitches” to other players all the time. It sounds like the Mariners probably did, while the Brewers, who would seemingly want t o encourage a friend and teammate to stay, did not.

• rrsm53 - Mar 20, 2014 at 8:19 AM

maybe he was just saying he thought his teammates would try harded to to convince him to stay with the brewers because of the friendships and stuff. Not everything is always money but he did get offered more from Seattle so decision was a no brainer.

2. baberuthslegs - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:09 PM

He had friends there. Team-mates. He probably expected a few of them to support him. Geez Craig… down on their hands a knees for him?

• sportsdrenched - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I didn’t read it that way either. I think we’re missing some context.

Players spend seven months with each other. Playing, sitting on planes, hotels, waiting out rain delays or postponements. Think about all the downtime there is in a baseball season where you’re not near your family. The relationships on the team may be just as important as other factors we typically look at. I can see where Hart is coming from especially if he was getting more positive contact from Mariners players, than Brewers players.

• sandwiches4ever - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I’m pretty sure it’s a play on the accompanying photo.

• baberuthslegs - Mar 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM

A bit of a “stretch” then.

3. shawnuel - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Yeah…shame on Hart for valuing things like loyalty and friendship as much as money. Dirty rat!

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Is that how you really read it? It’s not shame on Hart. It what he said about why he wished his teammates tried to reach out to keep him on the Brewers, like they control the purse strings of the organization.

4. paperlions - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:54 PM

The Brewers have had a lot of turnover and Hart didn’t play a game last year. How many of the guys that are still on the Brewers are really close friends of Hart?

5. tonyc920 - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Coreys “they didn’t reach out to me” statement is a bunch of hooey ! Corey was the one who said and I quote “I will take a hometown discount”. Right ?? Then he comes up with this lame excuse. The Brewers did the right thing in offering a contract similar in numbers to the Mariners deal but with substantially less guaranteed money and loaded with attainable incentives based on playing time. Let’s face the facts here, he basically stole $11 million from Milwaukee in 2013. He owed it to Milwaukee to stay. He talks out of both sides of his mouth. I really liked the guy until all this BS came out of his mouth. GOOD RIDDANCE. I hope Seattle regrets signing him because he can’t stay healthy.

6. musketmaniac - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Maybe not reaching out to him was them really saying `hit the road`

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Which is fine, but you can’t blame a guy for feeling a bit hurt when his “teammates” deliver such a message.

7. fearthehoody - Mar 19, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Add him to the list M’s: Aurillia, Cirillo, Figgins, Sexon, Bradley, Cust, Langerhans, Sweeney, Spiezio, Everette….

8. brewcrewfan54 - Mar 19, 2014 at 6:36 PM

I doubt there was any intentional slight. It was probably guys letting Corey take care of his own business as they all have to do when there own time comes. Not to mention a ton of guys on last years team barely knew him.

• brewcrewfan54 - Mar 19, 2014 at 6:38 PM

their*. Hate when I dont catch those mistakes

9. unclemosesgreen - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I’m sure his teammates wanted Hart to stop competing with Luke Scott for “least evolved-looking beard” but life is imperfect.

10. strictlythedanks - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Those brewers are hartless teammates!

1. H. Pence (2162)