Mar 19, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Dick Allen is one of the biggest Hall of Fame oversights of all time. Despite a career OPS of .912 and an OPS+ of 156 while playing in an era skewed heavily in favor of pitching, Allen never got as much as 19% of the vote. He’s since been overlooked by the Veteran’s Committee as well.
Allen has made few if any public comments about this. But his son is beating the drum to get the Veteran’s Committee to put him on the Golden Era ballot this December. From Philly.com:
“It’s difficult because he doesn’t want to be attached to any campaign,” Allen Jr. said last night. “He feels it’s a bad thing to stand there pounding his shoe on the desk saying, ‘Let me in, let me in.’ “
Junior feels otherwise and is trying to get his father’s name on this year’s Golden Era ballot.
“It’s a last shot for him,” Allen Jr. said. “From what I understand, he’ll have exhausted his options.”
Allen Jr. is working with Mark “Frog” Carfagno to promote the cause. They even have a Facebook page – “Dick Allen Belongs in the Hall of Fame.”
It’s a nice gesture by his son, but I doubt it’ll do much good. Allen’s case was already a tough one given that (a) his career was shorter than a lot of Hall of Famers'; (b) his value is heavily weighted in favor of rate stats as opposed to counting stats and those guys always fare relatively poorly; and (c) he was viewed as a contentious personality in his day and was not well-liked by reporters to say the least. I’d vote for him in a second, but I doubt a lot of others would even if he made it back to the Veteran’s Committee ballot.
Oh, biggest takeaway from that article: the allegedly contentious Allen now works in public relations for the Phillies. So either he’s mellowed with age or else what reporters thought about him in the 60s and 70s isn’t all that representative of the man.
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 7
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 11
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)