Mar 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Erik Bedard is competing for a spot in the Rays’ rotation on a minor-league contract, but the 35-year-old left-hander said yesterday that he’ll use an opt-out clause rather than accept an assignment to Triple-A if he doesn’t win the job.
“There’s a lot of starters who have been hurt so there’s a lot of chances and I’ll probably go somewhere else,” Bedard told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Tribune. “Every day it seems like a starter goes down. There’s a lot of opportunities out there if I’m not on the team.”
Bedard makes a very fair point about injuries to starters across baseball creating plenty of opportunities to latch on elsewhere late in spring training, although the odds of a team picking him up with just days remaining until Opening Day and handing him a spot on the big-league roster seem very slim.
Bedard is competing for the fifth starter role with Cesar Ramos and Jake Odorizzi, and manager Joe Maddon indicated that sending him to the bullpen isn’t being considered as an option. Last year, in 26 starts and six relief appearances for the Astros, he threw 151 innings with a 4.59 ERA and 138/75 K/BB ratio.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 59
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 156
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (156)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (132)