Mar 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Erik Bedard is competing for a spot in the Rays’ rotation on a minor-league contract, but the 35-year-old left-hander said yesterday that he’ll use an opt-out clause rather than accept an assignment to Triple-A if he doesn’t win the job.
“There’s a lot of starters who have been hurt so there’s a lot of chances and I’ll probably go somewhere else,” Bedard told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Tribune. “Every day it seems like a starter goes down. There’s a lot of opportunities out there if I’m not on the team.”
Bedard makes a very fair point about injuries to starters across baseball creating plenty of opportunities to latch on elsewhere late in spring training, although the odds of a team picking him up with just days remaining until Opening Day and handing him a spot on the big-league roster seem very slim.
Bedard is competing for the fifth starter role with Cesar Ramos and Jake Odorizzi, and manager Joe Maddon indicated that sending him to the bullpen isn’t being considered as an option. Last year, in 26 starts and six relief appearances for the Astros, he threw 151 innings with a 4.59 ERA and 138/75 K/BB ratio.
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)