Mar 19, 2014, 11:19 AM EST
Erik Bedard is competing for a spot in the Rays’ rotation on a minor-league contract, but the 35-year-old left-hander said yesterday that he’ll use an opt-out clause rather than accept an assignment to Triple-A if he doesn’t win the job.
“There’s a lot of starters who have been hurt so there’s a lot of chances and I’ll probably go somewhere else,” Bedard told Roger Mooney of the Tampa Bay Tribune. “Every day it seems like a starter goes down. There’s a lot of opportunities out there if I’m not on the team.”
Bedard makes a very fair point about injuries to starters across baseball creating plenty of opportunities to latch on elsewhere late in spring training, although the odds of a team picking him up with just days remaining until Opening Day and handing him a spot on the big-league roster seem very slim.
Bedard is competing for the fifth starter role with Cesar Ramos and Jake Odorizzi, and manager Joe Maddon indicated that sending him to the bullpen isn’t being considered as an option. Last year, in 26 starts and six relief appearances for the Astros, he threw 151 innings with a 4.59 ERA and 138/75 K/BB ratio.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)