Jimmy Rollins on the trade talk: “I am not tradable and so it doesn’t matter”

Mar 19, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT

Jimmy Rollins AP

Todd Zolecki spoke to Jimmy Rollins about the word yesterday that the Phillies are displeased with him and would like to trade him. If you think Rollins was going to try to say conciliatory things and try to defuse the situation, well, sorry:

“Because I can’t be traded,” he said before leaving for Dunedin to play the Blue Jays. “It doesn’t matter. I don’t care which way it is tried to be twisted or said, or if it is exactly how it was said, or even if it was said, I can’t be traded. It doesn’t matter. If I was tradable it may have weight because that means I could be moving soon. But I am not tradable and so it doesn’t matter.”

For his part, Ruben Amaro called any trade talk about Rollins “silliness” and said there is no intention to try to trade him. Which, given the parameters of the situation as described by Mr. Rollins here, is about the only thing you can say that might start to bring this little controversy to a close.

1. kingscourt25 - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Ruben is going to wait until August to become sellers again, isn’t he?

2. fissels - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I think he could be given an outright release though

• American of African Descent - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Of course the Phillies could give him an outright release. If they did that, though, they’d have to pay him $11 million anyway, and they don’t have an option as good as Rollins on their team. Plus, how is that going to look when the Phillies try to attract big name free agents in the future? What are they going to say: “come play over here, and we’ll cut you if you exercise your rights or do anything that displeases us?”

• bleedgreen - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM

An option as good as Rollins? He had a negative fielding WAR last year, and an overall WAR of .2 last year. He’s also batted a staggering .257 with a .643 OPS over the past 5 years. He’s NOT THAT GOOD anymore.

• jm91rs - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:51 PM

I’m not so sure that players have much of a problem with being cut and paid $11 mil to stay away. If this were a sport without guaranteed contracts that might be an issue, but if anything guys might think “I’ll go to the Phils and at the end of my career rather than look like I’m dying on the field and killing the clubhouse, they’ll tell me to stay home and just mail my check”.

• clydeserra - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:28 PM

@bleedgreen.
        You know what’s weird? your statement of his bWAR is accurate, but his fWAr is pretty much the opposite.

either way, he had a down year. Nothing jumps out as different, well maybe his HR/FB%. All the projection people have him at about 2 fWAR this year. But I would think he would be a good regression candidate. Even at just 2 fWAR that pretty much pays for his salary.

I would take him on my team (granted, the price would have to be small).

3. ematusko - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I’d like to commend Ruben Amaro Jr. on yet another terrible contract, for a player who signed it well past his prime, and now leaves the franchise with no leverage or flexibility whatsoever.

He and Richard Sherman are really making me wonder about Stanford’s apparent relacation in their admission criteria.

• kiwicricket - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM

What’s a Richard Sherman?

• sportsfan18 - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I don’t know this man, but it is NOT difficult to understand, to figure out. One doesn’t need to be a CSI agent or anything.

Both Amaro Jr. and Richard Sherman both went to Stanford for college.

Whoever this poster is, thinks they are both dumb and he was accusing Stanford of relaxing their admissions standards too low to let each of them into the college.

Now, I don’t know this poster and I don’t agree with his premise, but that IS what he was saying… and it isn’t difficult to ascertain this…

Are American’s really becoming this stupid?

• clydeserra - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM

well sports fan, from “Kiwicricket”‘s handle, one might guess he is not an american. Further, one might hypothesize that s/he doesn;t know about american football and the whole “richard Sherman” mini scandal.

But maybe you are right, Americans ARE becoming this stupid.

• clydeserra - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM

but Windie cricket is funner, anyway

4. ematusko - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:36 PM

*relaxation

5. schmedley69 - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM

That’s why the Buster Olney report made no sense. Rollins is untradable. Just another case of Buster making stuff up.

• pappageorgio - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:47 PM

yes……everyone know that players with no-trade clauses never get traded.

• schmedley69 - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Jimmy has already stated that he wouldn’t wave his no-trade clause, and no team is going to want to trade for him at his salary, even if the Phillies ate half of it. No player is untradable, but Jimmy is as close to untradable as you can get. Buster Olney has a history of spewing completely baseless trade rumors involving the Phillies.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM

No player is untradable, but Jimmy is as close to untradable as you can get.

As someone mentioned in another thread, Vernon Wells was traded twice. No one is “untradable”.

• senioreditor2 - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Rollins needs 440+ PA’s this season for his 2015 (11 million dollar) option to kick in. He won’t get them sitting on the bench. I assume at some point he’ll see the light and agree to a trade.

• American of African Descent - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Because sitting a player for the sole purpose of preventing him from reaching a vesting option is not going to draw an objection from the union.

Please look up the term “good faith and fair dealing.” It’s implied in every contract, and sitting a player out of spite is going to cost the Phillies a lot more in the long run.

• jm91rs - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Sitting him out for being a detriment to the team (lack of hustle, bad attitude) would be warranted. That’s only about 250 less plate appearances than he’s been getting, so making him the first guy off the bench for half a season should take care of it.

I do think that if they were to go that route though they’d just cut him during the season to keep him from getting 440 PAs, while releasing a statement saying “we can’t trade him, he’s done so much for us over the years, I hope he can play a role for a contender this year”.

• clydeserra - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:52 PM

if you release him, he will be picked up by another team for the league minimum and the phillies will be on the hook for the rest. And he will easily make the option vest

6. jcmeyer10 - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Ladies and Gentleman, your 2014 Phillies. The 2012 Red Sox would love to have a quick chat about what’s going to happen over the next 162 games.

7. cur'68 - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Jimmy don’t mince words, do he? He’s got a pretty up front way of speaking his mind. Can’t blame him, I guess. He’s only explaining reality.

8. halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM

I’m tired of hearing about Rollins in the media. At this point, I’m fine with whatever Sandberg wants to do. If he benches him 60-80% of the season, I’m fine. There are 24 other guys on this roster to concern myself with as a fan as opposed to Rollins. The media in Philly won’t shut up about it. It sickens me.

• sandwiches4ever - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Why should Rollins be punished because of the Philly media?

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Not about punishment. The Philly media is beating the Rollins story into the ground. Bottom line is whatever Sandberg wants to do with Rollins at this point (play or not play him) I’m fine with. It’s his team now. I will support him for now until I see what the product will be on the field come June. Like I said, I’m more concerned with the other 24 guys on the team than Rollins himself. Rollins is a non-factor in comparison.

9. wonkypenguin - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Genuine question: Can they send him to the minors? Or does a no-trade clause prohibit that in some outlandish way?

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Good question. I had to look this one up to refresh my memory. Here it is:

Veterans’ consent

If a player has 5 years of major-league service, he may not be assigned to a minor-league team without his consent, regardless of whether he has already been outrighted once, even if he clears waivers. If the player withholds consent, the team must either release him or keep him on the major league roster. In either case, the player must continue to be paid under the terms of his contract. If he is released and signs with a new team, his previous team must pay the difference in salary between the two contracts if the previous contract called for a greater salary.

• wonkypenguin - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Thanks, Mr. Ceps. I appreciate the info.

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM

No problem, Wonky. Glad you brought up the question. I knew there was Veteran consent that was involved, but I forgot about the particulars like how many years of MLB service, etc.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Easier way to look at is every player has X* number of options (all players on the major league roster are “optioned” to the minors). Once the player has used up those options (you burn one every year), you need the players permission to go to the minors.

*I think the number is 4, but there are rare circumstances where a player can get a 5th. Somehow the Yanks got one with Betances this year.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Note, and ‘cepts explanation is (another) reason why the NY writers were batsh!t insane with their thinking that Arod would never play again. As soon as he was cleared he had to be on the Yanks 25 man roster.

10. gothapotamus90210 - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

“Untradable so please don’t try to trade this.”

11. 18thstreet - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM

I know it’s easy to pile on Amaro, but why did the Phillies sign Rollins to that contract? It’s not as bad as the Ryan Howard one, but it’s still pretty awful.

Keeping Werth — even at the price the Nats paid — would have been a better move than Rollins or Howard, wouldn’t it?

• halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Ruben didn’t sign Rollins to that contract. Word on the street (people in the know with the Phillies) are 100% certain that David Montgomery, team President, insisted that Rollins be resigned. Why, you may ask? Because he’s very popular and will draw fans to the park. Also, Montgomery is a loyal President.

As far as keeping Werth, I agree with their decision then and will not backtrack now. Werth wasn’t worth 126 million. They took that money and signed Cliff Lee. I would do that over and over again. I’ll leave it at that.

• clydeserra - Mar 19, 2014 at 4:34 PM

its not a bad contract.

He has been worth the money and will be in 14, barring injury.

12. shutdownespn - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Not surprised Amaro wants to make a trade–Rollins is a bit young for that team.

• fleaman1381 - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Rollins for Jeter trade?

I’m kidding, really.

13. ochospantalones - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Rollins has been very explicit about his desire to break some Phillies career records. He’s only about 60 hits away from breaking Mike Schmidt’s franchise hits record. I can’t imagine him considering approving a trade until after that happens.

He may consider a trade after that, though it’s worth keeping in mind he has lived in the Philly area forever at this point, and his wife is from the city. So he may no want to leave at all.

14. stebutt - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM

That’s it Jimmy. Finish your career with a losing team rather than go somewhere like Detroit where you could win. You genius.

• sandwiches4ever - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:02 PM

You know, everyone has their own reasons for why they’d want to be in a specific place. Being that he’s been with the Phils for a long time, he might just want to stay somewhere where he’s comfortable. I’m sure you’ve made a life decision at some point that outsiders would have thought insane or stupid, but was perfectly logical given what importance you placed on different factors. Pretty much everyone has.

15. seanb20124 - Mar 19, 2014 at 2:59 PM

He would like his out right release, then he could shop his services to the highest bidder and double-dip. Unless of course his contract has offset language

• sandwiches4ever - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I believe all MLB contracts have “offset language”.

16. Youknowimright - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:05 PM

This should end well.

17. halladaysbiceps - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM

By the way, I know Jimmy Rollins doesn’t care about Spring Training, but he’s yet again 0-3 in the game today against the Jays and is now hitting .080 in the spring. But, Jimmy isn’t worried. He’s more concerned about talking to the media incessantly than his hitting.

18. pourman - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Breaking up is hard to do…..

19. musketmaniac - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

send him to Houston for a single A team. They can fly him to Houston for the same price to bus their new team wherever A teams go.

20. andreweac - Mar 19, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Looks like Sandberg and Amaro disagree on his tWtW grade.

21. provguard - Mar 19, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Set him so far down the bench that he would need binoculars to see the manager and forget about him… Another meme….

22. jake6881 - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:47 PM

He doesn’t run out every play and he is arrogant! He is all about him! I am a Phillies fan who goes to the games and loves them no matter. You can’t build a team with this type of me first attitude. Bat him 8th and sit him 2-3 times a week. He will get the message. Then we will see if he runs his mouth then. Galvis will give you the same production for the time he plays. Look at Jimmy’s last 3 years. He won’t stop trying to hit homeruns and he won’t try and take walks. Welcome to the 8 hole Jimmy. I would sit him Saturday and Sunday’s to start the year.

23. clydeserra - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM

And just tp be clear with all you people saying the contract is terrible, you guys know that jhonny peralta signed a 4 year $52M contract this year, right?

Final take away from World Series