Jose Quintana insists he’s healthy despite disastrous outing and 30.00 ERA

Mar 19, 2014, 10:47 AM EST

Jose Quintana White Sox AP

Yesterday afternoon Jose Quintana had one of the worst starts you’ll ever see, allowing all nine batters he faced to reach base and eventually come around to score while recording zero outs.

He also struggled in his previous start and his spring training ERA now stands at 30.00 overall, yet the White Sox left-hander insisted to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com that he feels just fine physically:

I feel real good. My arm and ankle is good. I’ll be good. I’ll be fine when the season starts. I feel bad for this day. Continue to be working and I’ll be ready.

White Sox manager Robin Ventura also told Hayes that the team isn’t especially worried because Quintana’s velocity has been normal and he “just looks a little flat.”

If the White Sox are going to avoid following up last year’s 99 losses with another terrible season they desperately need a healthy, effective Quintana in the rotation. At age 25 he has a 3.61 career ERA in 336 innings and threw 200 innings last year in his first full season as a starter.

1. nymets4ever - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Spring Training is a time for pitchers to tinker with stuff and build up strength for the regular season, not to mention the small sample sizes which cause misleading ERAs.

Like you noted, this is a guy who is only 25 and has a “3.61 career ERA in 336 innings and threw 200 innings last year in his first full season as a starter.” So what’s the point of writing snarky headlines about his performance this Spring, especially when he’s healthy?

Worry about your own sorry little rotation over there in Minnesota, where Phil Hughes is the “ace.”

• dan1111 - Mar 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Yeah, spring training stats don’t mean that much, but being completely bombed several times in a row is still worrying.

2. cur'68 - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM

This spring, Kershaw has an ERA of >9 and s WHIP of >1.7. I don’t see too many overwrought headlines and such about it. And I understand why: its spring training and he’s hardly trying his hardest. As for Quintana, well the same applies. Not only that, he had absolutely no defence behind him in that game. I don’t think its time to panic just yet.

• Francisco (FC) - Mar 19, 2014 at 12:26 PM

You wouldn’t have a vested interest in this Jose Quintana now would you?

• cur'68 - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:39 PM

AND Kershaw, too. So there’s that. Gimmie Reyes.

• kiwicricket - Mar 19, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I must be involved. It’s in the rules.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5946)