Mar 19, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Positive development Wednesday in Reds camp.
According to C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer, starter Mat Latos tossed two scoreless innings against minor league hitters in his first live appearance since undergoing surgery on February 14 to repair a tear of the meniscus in his left knee.
Latos threw 31 pitches — 19 strikes — giving up three hits but fanning four. His fastball averaged 92-94 mph and a couple of times touched 95 mph.
“I can’t really complain for the first time,” the right-hander told Rosecrans after his outing on Wednesday. “That first inning I was amped up and (was full of) adrenaline — I was shaking on the mound, just trying to get the nerves out. It’s something I’ve done for a long time, but with the crap I’ve been through the last couple of months, it was definitely exciting.”
Latos is aiming to join the Reds’ regular-season rotation on or around April 6.
He had a stellar 3.16 ERA and 187 strikeouts in 210 2/3 innings last year.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)