Mar 19, 2014, 7:38 PM EST
Positive development Wednesday in Reds camp.
According to C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer, starter Mat Latos tossed two scoreless innings against minor league hitters in his first live appearance since undergoing surgery on February 14 to repair a tear of the meniscus in his left knee.
Latos threw 31 pitches — 19 strikes — giving up three hits but fanning four. His fastball averaged 92-94 mph and a couple of times touched 95 mph.
“I can’t really complain for the first time,” the right-hander told Rosecrans after his outing on Wednesday. “That first inning I was amped up and (was full of) adrenaline — I was shaking on the mound, just trying to get the nerves out. It’s something I’ve done for a long time, but with the crap I’ve been through the last couple of months, it was definitely exciting.”
Latos is aiming to join the Reds’ regular-season rotation on or around April 6.
He had a stellar 3.16 ERA and 187 strikeouts in 210 2/3 innings last year.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)