Mar 19, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
Ayala has actually been remarkably effective over the past three seasons, posting a 2.58 ERA in 164 total innings despite being in his mid-30s and looking more or less washed up previously.
However, his raw stuff has long since ceased being impressive and the Nationals’ bullpen is a tough one to crack considering both the depth and quality of relievers, so Ayala ultimately might be better off latching on somewhere else.
Announcement: HardballTalk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Baseball league for Opening Day’s games (March 31). It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 1:05pm ET on Opening Day. Here’s the FanDuel link.
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 18
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)