Mar 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
Rangers second baseman Jurickson Profar is finally cleared to play defense after missing time with a shoulder injury, but now shortstop Elvis Andrus has been shut down with elbow problems for the second time this month.
Andrus will take at least a few games off and Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that he’ll be examined Friday by team doctors. For now Andrus insists it’s a minor injury, but the Rangers are obviously a little more worried about it.
If it proves to be a significant injury the Rangers could shift Profar to shortstop–which is where he played while coming up through the minors as an elite prospect–but there’s no obvious in-house option to take over at second base unless they really want to rush 20-year-old top prospect Rougned Odor to the big leagues.
Another option could be making a late run at unsigned free agent shortstop Stephen Drew, but it’s probably not worth speculating about that too much until there’s an official word on Andrus’ status. Texas traded longtime second baseman Ian Kinsler to Detroit in the Prince Fielder deal in large part because Andrus is signed long term and Profar was waiting in the wings.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)