Mar 19, 2014, 10:15 AM EDT
Rangers second baseman Jurickson Profar is finally cleared to play defense after missing time with a shoulder injury, but now shortstop Elvis Andrus has been shut down with elbow problems for the second time this month.
Andrus will take at least a few games off and Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star Telegram reports that he’ll be examined Friday by team doctors. For now Andrus insists it’s a minor injury, but the Rangers are obviously a little more worried about it.
If it proves to be a significant injury the Rangers could shift Profar to shortstop–which is where he played while coming up through the minors as an elite prospect–but there’s no obvious in-house option to take over at second base unless they really want to rush 20-year-old top prospect Rougned Odor to the big leagues.
Another option could be making a late run at unsigned free agent shortstop Stephen Drew, but it’s probably not worth speculating about that too much until there’s an official word on Andrus’ status. Texas traded longtime second baseman Ian Kinsler to Detroit in the Prince Fielder deal in large part because Andrus is signed long term and Profar was waiting in the wings.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 23
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 24
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)