Mar 19, 2014, 4:10 PM EDT
Out since mid-February with a shoulder injury, A’s right-hander Ryan Cook threw 21 pitches in a simulated game against teammates today and said afterward that he felt good.
In fact, Cook felt so good that he told John Hickey of the San Jose Mercury News he’s game-ready and still holding out a slim hope of avoiding beginning the season on the disabled list.
Oakland has spent a ton of money and resources on building an excellent, deep bullpen, so the A’s can deal with not having Cook for a while, but he’s a huge part of their plans after appearing in 71 games during each of the past two seasons with a combined 2.54 ERA and 9.4 strikeouts per nine innings.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 0
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 15
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)