Mar 19, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
I haven’t been following the Mets’ roster moves too terribly closely this spring so maybe this isn’t news to hardcore Mets fans, but Jon Heyman says that he believes both Jose Valverde and Daisuke Matsuzaka are expected to make the Mets’ 25-man roster. Matsuzaka should make the rotation.
The two veterans have some things in common. Both were in Mets camp on minor league deals. Both had dreadful 2013 seasons. Both tend to exasperate their teams’ fans and inspire chuckles in opponents’ fans when they’re called into games. But both have also had success in the past too, and with the Mets largely in a holding pattern for 2015 and/or the return of Matt Harvey (whichever comes first) there’s some amount of sense in getting as much mileage out of these old war horses as they can.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 15
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 14
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 54