Mar 19, 2014, 11:34 AM EST
I haven’t been following the Mets’ roster moves too terribly closely this spring so maybe this isn’t news to hardcore Mets fans, but Jon Heyman says that he believes both Jose Valverde and Daisuke Matsuzaka are expected to make the Mets’ 25-man roster. Matsuzaka should make the rotation.
The two veterans have some things in common. Both were in Mets camp on minor league deals. Both had dreadful 2013 seasons. Both tend to exasperate their teams’ fans and inspire chuckles in opponents’ fans when they’re called into games. But both have also had success in the past too, and with the Mets largely in a holding pattern for 2015 and/or the return of Matt Harvey (whichever comes first) there’s some amount of sense in getting as much mileage out of these old war horses as they can.
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 60
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 22
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)