Mar 19, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
I haven’t been following the Mets’ roster moves too terribly closely this spring so maybe this isn’t news to hardcore Mets fans, but Jon Heyman says that he believes both Jose Valverde and Daisuke Matsuzaka are expected to make the Mets’ 25-man roster. Matsuzaka should make the rotation.
The two veterans have some things in common. Both were in Mets camp on minor league deals. Both had dreadful 2013 seasons. Both tend to exasperate their teams’ fans and inspire chuckles in opponents’ fans when they’re called into games. But both have also had success in the past too, and with the Mets largely in a holding pattern for 2015 and/or the return of Matt Harvey (whichever comes first) there’s some amount of sense in getting as much mileage out of these old war horses as they can.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 23
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 22
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 24
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 68
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)