You missed your chance to buy Chipper Jones’ house

Mar 19, 2014, 9:16 AM EDT

Chipper Jones mansion

And you could’ve gotten it for a bargain, too!

Jones has sold his mansion-estate in Roswell, GA, for a loss. Measuring 23,504 square feet in size, the rough equivalent of three baseball diamonds, the mansion originally hit the market in May 2013 for $3.195 million. It ultimately sold in March for $2.8 million—$395,000 less than his original ask and $1.53 million less than what Jones paid for the property in 2005.

Jones now lives in a 4,500 square foot house in a different Atlanta burb. The house with the Bat Cave from which he rescues first basemen in distress. If he hadn’t taken a bath on the big mansion he maybe could’ve afforded to put up drywall over those cinderblocks.

Anyway, I can’t say too much about Chipper’s real estate acumen. I too bought a house in 2005. Everyone was doing it back then. And most folks who did probably overpaid like Chipper and I did. Alas.

1. foreverchipper10 - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:33 AM

And to think I bid 2.75 million. Life just isn’t fair sometimes. :(

2. chill1184 - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Thats a nice looking house

• cur'68 - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Yeah. Its really quite pleasant for such a big place. A house that size can often seem overbearing, but this one’s kind of homey in a “I’m really rich” way. Larry’s got good taste.

• dan1111 - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM

A house of that size can often seem like 12 houses.

3. yahmule - Mar 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I’m not living in Georgia under any circumstances. You sweat like a dockworker, the sports fans are apathetic to the point of absurdity and the place is a hotbed for crazies during zombie apocalypses.

• rje49 - Mar 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Yeah, and I hear banjos, too.

4. historiophiliac - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:25 AM

So, it appears that Larry’s real estate acumen is on par with his basketball hoop assembly skills. It’s a good thing he’s got money. (And for me, Twitter.)

5. temporarilyexiled - Mar 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I see stuff like this and no longer get excited, which means: (choose one)

A. I’m more grounded.

B. I’ve given up.

C. Both.

6. thebigwhitecat - Mar 19, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Front yard is a nice wiffle ball field.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate