Aroldis Chapman undergoes surgery, expected to resume working out in 10-14 days

Mar 20, 2014, 11:59 PM EST

Aroldis Chapman AP AP

According to Mark Sheldon of MLB.com, Reds closer Aroldis Chapman underwent surgery this evening to repair the fracture above his left eye which was suffered when he was hit in the face by a batted ball on Wednesday night.

During the two-and-a-half-hour procedure, Chapman had a metal plate inserted on the bone above his eye to help stabilize the fracture. While he’s expected to remain in the hospital for another day or two, Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek said that he could begin working out in 10-14 days and progress to game conditions within 4-6 weeks.

Chapman also suffered a nose fracture and what was termed as a “very mild concussion,” but things obviously could have been much worse. The most important thing is his health, but it sounds like he could be back with the Reds by the end of May if all goes well.

1. raysfan1 - Mar 21, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Rooting for a full recovery for him. That was a scary thing.

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 12:25 AM

Is it just me that that seems awfully soon to be running around with loose pieces in your head?

• indaburg - Mar 21, 2014 at 6:10 AM

I’m pretty sure they’ll glue it all down good. They have the technology.

Without knowing more details of his specific case, I’m not sure. Hopefully they will err on the side of caution if he doesn’t progress as quickly as we all hope.

• raysfan1 - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:39 AM

He’s likely up and moving around already. 4-6 weeks to simulated game conditions is about right. Hopefully the headaches resolve in that timeframe too. If so, a May return from the DL is doable.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Bones heal amazingly quickly. I suffered facial fractures once and they heal completely within 4-6 weeks. Obviously mine were not as severe as Chapman’s but you’d be amazed at how well the body heals itself.

• historiophiliac - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I’m really just freaked out at jiggling them around too much. We’re not talking jello here. Yikes.

• raysfan1 - Mar 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM

No worries regarding “jiggling”–ensuring stability is the biggest piece in providing pain relief to begin with.

• cur'68 - Mar 21, 2014 at 12:46 AM

I’m looking forward to seeing him back in action, too. With any luck he suffers no ill effects from this.

2. Gordon - Mar 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM

Wow, that is frightening. Good luck dude. Speedy recovery.

3. bravestomahawkchamp - Mar 21, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Praying for a good guy and a good baseball player.

4. musketmaniac - Mar 21, 2014 at 1:08 AM

put a shield on him, he could be Vader chapman,

5. travman162 - Mar 21, 2014 at 7:14 AM

His head will recover physically, but mentally it may not. Remember Matt Clement? He was never the same after that happened to him. Either way, hate seeing this happen, especially in an exhibition game.

6. gothapotamus90210 - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:20 AM

This is pretty remarkable, considering how bad it looked and the fact he got a plate in his head.

7. aceshigh11 - Mar 21, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Wow, that’s actually pretty impressive given how horrific the initial injury looked. I’m rooting for the guy to come back 100%…

8. Francisco (FC) - Mar 21, 2014 at 9:51 AM

I can’t help but point out that if this had happened at the WBC then people would be yelling at how the WBC is a dangerous side show that only risks injury to MLB players and therefore cancelled.

• jm91rs - Mar 21, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Fortunately for the internet (unfortunately for fans of baseball), Cubans can’t play for Cuba in the WBC once they’ve defected so it’s not even remotely possible in this instance.

9. slickdemetrius - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Don’t know about how much the “mild concussion” will effect him later on, but psychologically he may need some time to recover. I remember my first little league game at-bat. Got beaned in the face with a fastball fracturing my cheekbone. Pitcher thought it was hilarious until my friends (some of whom were on his team) chased him out of the park.
    No surgery like Aroldis has to go through, just an emergency room visit and a DQ banana split afterward, but for the remainder of that season, I could barely stay in the batter’s box, I was terrified. Plus every time the pitcher came remotely close, I would blink my eyes making a hit impossible.
    Solution the next year, a clever coach put me behind the plate as a catcher (the skinniest ever). I learned to follow the pitch in, from the hand across the field to the plate. Soon I found myself less scared at the plate and actually became a .230 hitter!
    I am not a Reds fan, but personally I’m pulling for him.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Hahaha! Wonderful story Demetrius. And that coach was on point. .230 or not…it worked. Lol!

10. stlouis1baseball - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM

God speed Aroldis. Pulling for a full (and very speedy) recovery. Baseball is better with you pitching.

11. thepittsburghkid - Mar 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM

I hope he can compete this season. I look forward to the Reds/Pirates match up this year.

• jm91rs - Mar 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Why? So they can both Phillips and McCutchen can get beaned some more? I’m tired of that crap, but I bet it’s not over yet.

12. stevequinn - Mar 21, 2014 at 11:40 AM

This reminds me of Herb Score who was hit in the face by a line drive off the bat of Gil McDougall. Prior to that happening, Score was a completely dominating pitcher. Subsequently, Score was never the same again.

I certainly hope the same thing doesn’t happen to Chapman. Even though he plays for the Reds, I hope he has a complete and speedy recovery. And I hope the Reds finish in last place.

Let’s go Cardinals!!!!!