Mar 20, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays announced late this afternoon that they have claimed infielder/outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo off waivers from the Diamondbacks. In a corresponding roster move, Toronto released left-hander Luis Perez to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.
Tuiasosopo hit .244/.351/.415 with seven home runs and 30 RBI over 191 plate appearances with the Tigers last season, but he wasn’t nearly as productive after a mid-season rib cage injury. Arizona claimed him off waivers from Detroit in November, but now he’s on the move again.
Tuiasosopo is out of options, so the Blue Jays will have to expose him to waivers if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster. The 27-year-old has a decent chance to stick as a utility player.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)