Mar 20, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays announced late this afternoon that they have claimed infielder/outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo off waivers from the Diamondbacks. In a corresponding roster move, Toronto released left-hander Luis Perez to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.
Tuiasosopo hit .244/.351/.415 with seven home runs and 30 RBI over 191 plate appearances with the Tigers last season, but he wasn’t nearly as productive after a mid-season rib cage injury. Arizona claimed him off waivers from Detroit in November, but now he’s on the move again.
Tuiasosopo is out of options, so the Blue Jays will have to expose him to waivers if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster. The 27-year-old has a decent chance to stick as a utility player.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)