Mar 20, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays announced late this afternoon that they have claimed infielder/outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo off waivers from the Diamondbacks. In a corresponding roster move, Toronto released left-hander Luis Perez to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.
Tuiasosopo hit .244/.351/.415 with seven home runs and 30 RBI over 191 plate appearances with the Tigers last season, but he wasn’t nearly as productive after a mid-season rib cage injury. Arizona claimed him off waivers from Detroit in November, but now he’s on the move again.
Tuiasosopo is out of options, so the Blue Jays will have to expose him to waivers if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster. The 27-year-old has a decent chance to stick as a utility player.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 1
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 176
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (176)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)