Mar 20, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays announced late this afternoon that they have claimed infielder/outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo off waivers from the Diamondbacks. In a corresponding roster move, Toronto released left-hander Luis Perez to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.
Tuiasosopo hit .244/.351/.415 with seven home runs and 30 RBI over 191 plate appearances with the Tigers last season, but he wasn’t nearly as productive after a mid-season rib cage injury. Arizona claimed him off waivers from Detroit in November, but now he’s on the move again.
Tuiasosopo is out of options, so the Blue Jays will have to expose him to waivers if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster. The 27-year-old has a decent chance to stick as a utility player.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)