Mar 20, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
The Blue Jays announced late this afternoon that they have claimed infielder/outfielder Matt Tuiasosopo off waivers from the Diamondbacks. In a corresponding roster move, Toronto released left-hander Luis Perez to clear a spot on the 40-man roster.
Tuiasosopo hit .244/.351/.415 with seven home runs and 30 RBI over 191 plate appearances with the Tigers last season, but he wasn’t nearly as productive after a mid-season rib cage injury. Arizona claimed him off waivers from Detroit in November, but now he’s on the move again.
Tuiasosopo is out of options, so the Blue Jays will have to expose him to waivers if he doesn’t make the Opening Day roster. The 27-year-old has a decent chance to stick as a utility player.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)