Mar 20, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
In news that was all but inevitable, the Braves confirmed today that right-hander Brandon Beachy will undergo season-ending Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery tomorrow. The procedure will be performed by Dr. Neal ElAttache in Los Angeles.
Like teammate Kris Medlen, who went under the knife earlier this week, this will be the second Tommy John surgery of Beachy’s career. However, while Medlen went 3 1/2 years between procedures, this will be Beachy’s second in the span of 21 months.
Beachy posted an excellent 3.07 ERA over his first 41 starts in the majors prior to his first Tommy John surgery in June of 2012, which was performed by Dr. James Andrews. There’s been nothing but frustration since. His return to the majors last season was delayed due to elbow inflammation and he made just five starts prior to having a bone chip removed in late September. Now the 27-year-old faces another lengthy rehab process which will likely sideline him through the early part of next season. Here’s hoping he can still deliver on some of that early promise.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (188)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)